Guest viewing is limited

At what wind speed do you decide to stay at the dock?

Andrew Means

Member III
If it's blowing 25, I probably stay at the dock because of the hassle leaving and then docking again in what is almost always a crosswind in the slip. Most wind I've ever sailed this boat in was 30 kts. on Carquinez Strait. We were beating with just the big genoa up, no main. The boat behaved fine, if overpowered some; there was a lot of bounce in the headstay because I guess I forgot I had a hydraulic backstay adjuster. Duh. I'd love to try it with a tiny jib and a storm trysail in something heavier, just to experiment. But I will have to leave the dock in over 25 kts. to do it!

Dang, that's crazy about 30kts with the Genoa - were you able to point well? My Genoa is awesome in light-medium winds, but it's never been able to point very high. I'd think at 30kts I'd be having some serious issues staying on course!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff,

I notice that both your videos show Cucamonga underway with the gate in her starboard lifeline open. Is this some sort of heavy-weather tactic, or what?

Captain Don
Gitana E26

I guess it's a bad habit when I single hand, what you don't see is that I am always tethered with a PFD harness. :devil: I always have the lifeline closed when I have passengers or crew.

Dan Morehouse

Member III
It would have pointed better with the backstay tensioned up. As it was, it didn't do so hot, and we didn't carry on very long before rolling it up and motoring to avoid some ship traffic. But I've singlehanded a couple times in 20-25 with just the genoa, and not only does it point pretty well for an old rag of a sail, but it's the only combo I've found where the boat will hold its heading...enough to walk around the deck with the wheel locked. With the main up, it doesn't seem to find a groove upwind.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
It's not the sailing that's the problem, it's the docking in high winds with millions of dollars of obstacles in the marina to dodge! :tink:

why worry

Depends on the boat. Typically no more than 25 knots, though I have been caught out in a steady 65 with gusts to 80 in the gulf with 15-18' seas. That was on a 24' tri and was an interesting experience. Surfed all the way to Key West from Tampa Bay. Was very lucky the last 20nm the wind and seas died and had to motor in.

windjunkee

Member III
we started out a race where we were beating into 30 knots and it peaked at around 45. At some point, the adrenaline DOES wear off and it becomes less than completely fun. I probably wouldn't go out day sailing if its a gale or more, but once you're out there, you take what's coming. The higher the wind speed, the more sea room I prefer.

65 to 80 in a 25 foot tri? Geeeeeez

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

why worry

Was a bit scarey. Was my first offshore sail of any distance on this boat, she had sunk in St. Joesph sound in 3' of water when I got her. I refloated her, sailed her to the beach and ran her ashore at hightide. Then patched her up, sailed to boatyard and fixed her proper. Plywood hull, covered with glass. Was a nice sailing boat, and in heavey seas would dance on top of the waves. Under bare mast she was surfing. No radio, no navigation equipment, just a compass & chart and DR. To be young and stupid..... Took my dad with me, his first and last time sailing with me. Needless to say we had a real good time in Key West!

It did teach me something about a light hull, was like driving a sports car, you could avoid most of the large breaking waves.

we started out a race where we were beating into 30 knots and it peaked at around 45. At some point, the adrenaline DOES wear off and it becomes less than completely fun. I probably wouldn't go out day sailing if its a gale or more, but once you're out there, you take what's coming. The higher the wind speed, the more sea room I prefer.

65 to 80 in a 25 foot tri? Geeeeeez

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA