Bands on the mast

Gary G

Member II
I have a 1983 E28+. It has a band (tape) on the boom marking the extent to which the foot of the main is intended to be pulled out. There is no such band on the mast indicating the maximum height to which the main is meant to be raised. Can someone tell me exactly how to measure and mark the mast so I'm consistently raising the main to the maximum height it's meant to be raised on this boat?

Hi,
I wouldn't worry about a mark on the mast. Just get enough tension on the main's luff so that it has the right shape. Too much tension will give you vertical wrinkles, which you do not need. The outhaul will flatten the foot, if you need to do that, which is not very often.
Morgan Stinemetz

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Morgan is right

But, if you want to be technical about it, take a line from a point on the mast even with the top of the boom (more or less the tack fitting) and go up a distance equal to the published P dimension for your boat-this would be the BOTTOM of the upper tape marker, and the highest point (under racing rules) you should have the main-but for cruising, just get it tight enough so the draft is visibly forward of the middle of the sail, and there are no wrinkles-but only just-you don't want too much tension. In winds under about 6-8 knots, you could do with an inch or so less, and a few small luff wrinkles will not hurt (and will help get the draft in the right spot).

Cheers,
S

Last edited: