Battery problems

bayhoss

Member III
Check and clean all connections to make sure that it is receiving a charge. Then look at the output of the charger, then return the battery.

Best always,
Frank

sv_naidia

Member II
Check out the posts from Maine Sail and Stu Jackson......

One of my batteries (new) is not holding the charge as long as the other. Battery cable?

Hi Bob,

I posted an inquiry about batteries a couple weeks ago and got some great advice and links to more great advice from Maine Sail and Stu Jackson on this site. Here is a clip from Lifeline about some battery stuff which may help.

“For maximum battery life, a battery must be recharged to 100% capacity. Recharging to less than 100% may result in premature battery failure.”

“For maximum battery life in cycling applications, do not discharge the battery bank below 50%.”

“Always use batteries of identical make, model and with the same manufacturing date.”

Based on your original post, you mentioned the "new" battery... Some types don't do well when mixed. I do know the agm's are this way. I have always changed out the entire bank when replacing batteries... maybe overkill but just how I've done it. I hope Stu or Maine Sail can chime in if you were to post more findings as you investigate... Good luck!!!!:egrin:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Bob,

How are your batteries setup? Do you have a battery monitor taking it's power from one battery?

Bob Brigham

Member II
Thanks for your input. The batteries (two) were new in June and have been kept at full charge most of the season. The last two weeks, the boat was started once. I noticed that one of the batteries was not charging fully. Looking back at the extensive paperwork that came with the boat when I bought it last September, I see that battery #1 has always been a problem...never taking charge fully. So, something is obviously wrong with the cables...maybe?

sv_naidia

Member II
cables

Thanks for your input. The batteries (two) were new in June and have been kept at full charge most of the season. The last two weeks, the boat was started once. I noticed that one of the batteries was not charging fully. Looking back at the extensive paperwork that came with the boat when I bought it last September, I see that battery #1 has always been a problem...never taking charge fully. So, something is obviously wrong with the cables...maybe?

Bob,

Glad you found some info in your paperwork. Yes, it does seem that with new batteries and one that is not charging fully, cables would be a great place to start. Don't you love these ongoing boat mysteries??? Good luck...:egrin: