• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bed-it

Shankara

Member II

Reefpoints

Member I
FYI, the stuff from Hamilton Marine was worthless. A buddy ordered some and It had absolutely no stretch whatsoever - it crumbled like old play-doh. Also it wasn't that tacky or sticky. To be fair, this is a sample size of 1 so maybe we just got a bad one?. Regardless, if I needed butyl in a hurry I'd go with either the Fiberglast gray tape, or the Dicor stuff from: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Butyl-Tape-p/38-1467.htm

Attachments

• Bad_butyle.png
    Bad_butyle.png
    373.1 KB · Views: 3

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One editorial 'comment' about choosing sealant...
After you drill/cleanout the holes, chamfer the top of the opening, clean and de-grease both mating surfaces, find someone to hold the screwdriver on top while you tighten up the nut underneath, why would anyone source some lousy sealant on the basis of price?
:)

dcoyle

Member III
That is surprising as Rod is the one who sent me to Hamiltons a few years back. Sorry about the bad information.

Doug

dcoyle

Member III
Has anybody been able to purchase Bed It from Sailboatowners.com? I cant get their site to work. Rod said he sold his remaining Bed It stock to Hamilton.

Pete the Cat

Member III
I bought some butyl tape from Amazon and it worked fine. Maybe I was lucky.
I have used a whole roll of the stuff I bought on Amazon with no particular problem doing most of the hatches and windows on my new-to-me Ericson. Seemed to work fine. Working with the tape does require a learning curve and some scissors and a knife.