briangsmith

Member II
E-25- whale gusher pump (original?) works great-
but also wanting a switchable electric bilge pump-
(i.e. 'on', 'off', 'automatic')-

recommendations?

Ray Rhode

Member III
Not a recommendation but a question. When I was rewiring Journey I bought an On-Off-Automatic switch for the bilge pump and then asked myself when would I want to turn the pump off? Journey is in a wet slip and I cannot think of a reason for not leaving the bilge pump "armed" through the float switch. If you keep your boat on a trailer you might consider turning the pump off, but even then I have seen boats fill up with rain water and collapse the trailer. An "armed" bilge pump might have prevented that.

Any thoughts from the group?

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interesting question.
I can see several times when I want the other switch position --
1) when (not if) the float switch fails and I want to empty the bilge, and
2) to quickly de-energize the circuit for maintenance or if the pump has locked up and is about to overheat. Main panel breaker or the fuse in the Rule pump switch panel should prevent a wire fire, presumably. I hope.
The electrical wizards on the site should have more relavant info.
:cool:

Best,
Loren

briangsmith

Member II
'dude, Where's My Post?!'

(grin) OK, so, to restate and get this thread back on
track...

Anybody have any good reccomendations on an electric
bilge pump? Key criteria to look for?? (i.e. capacity,
draw, dependibility, etc)

thnx~

bgs

valentor

Member II
Brian;

With advice from Don Casey's book, I built the following system.

Attach a small pump (500 GPH) to a float switch and use a really small hose (1/2 inch). The intent of this pump is to pump out rainwater, any water you pick up with aggresive sailing, etc. The benefit of the small hose is that when the float switch finally shuts off, the water in the hose drains back into the bilge - but there is not very much and it easily evaporates.

In the case of an emergency, mount a 2000 GPH (or larger) pump to a much larger hose (1.5 inch) with it's float switch higher in the boat than the small pump's switch. It will only run when the small pump is overcome or fails.

I had an emergency last year where the little pump could not keep up with the leak. The big one saved the boat while I made it to to boatyard for a quick hauling.

I used Rule equipment and it worked exactly as planned.

One annoying note - I did install one of those switches that is "off-auto-momentary on". My intent is to leave it in "auto" all the time, but occasionally it gets switched to "off" unintentionally with the annoying side effect of a wet bilge.

I hope this helps.

-Steve

evm

Member II
Dewatering systems

I have no specific recommendations for bilge pumps. I do however recommend that you think in system terms.

Your day to day pump could be any of the electric pumps within the capacity of your electrical system.

Next a good manual pump that you can use while steering the boat.

And lastly (and perhaps the most important) is to have a good bucket or two.

Regards, Ethan

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Yes, remember that a manual diaphram bilge pump will out-pace nearly any electric bilge pump. I'd put that as my first criteria, closely followed by an electric bilge pump.

chaco

Member III
I like the Water Puppy - Bronze Body impellar pump. This thing is BULLETPROOF and can lift suction 6'. Have 5/8 bronze suction strainer
in the bilge and pump located under galley sink (very accessable).
Also recommend an inline strainer before the pump. This pump can move chunks of sawdust / fiberglass dust / and alien objects without a wimper.
Parts are readily available. The only thing you need is a spare impellar.
Get the NITRILE impellar. Neoprene impellars absorb petroleum products,
EXPAND and JAM your pump ! And... the OFF position is so you can work
on your pump without disconnecting wires.

Last edited:

hcpookie

Member III
NateHanson said:
Yes, remember that a manual diaphram bilge pump will out-pace nearly any electric bilge pump. I'd put that as my first criteria, closely followed by an electric bilge pump.
Really? The WM guy suggested I remove my (unused, disconnected) gusher pump from my head and relocate near the bilge for emergencies. I figured it would be an "OK" solution but I hadn't considered its performance vs. electric. Interesting.

chaco

Member III
And yes..the Auto Electric Bilge Pump is for rainwater accumulation and minor
drips when you are not on board. Also is a good alarm to your Dock Pals
that your boat is in trouble. The Manual Pump is for REAL Emergencies and the
Odd Wave over the Cockpit when your Cabin door was OPEN !