• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bimini for E-26

Breeze26

Query: Has anyone had installed a bimini on an E-26? Breeze has a wheel and, of course, a split backstay. Boom does not allow for much clearance. Any alternate suggestions?

johnrkay

I installed a “poor man’s bimini“ (removable) on my E-26. I have a tiller and split backstay. It works well as long as I’m sitting down to steer.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since Christian has not yet weighed in, I shall reference his practical solution of carrying an umbrella around for shade. I have also done this for years, with an "Anchor Shade". Works great for motoring on windless hot days and also when moored. Recently we did have a bimini installed, and we like this a bit better, but it can block the view of the sail when sailing. (Only showing that most 'solutions' often reveal new or different problems...)
:)
Edit: one little problem we had to solve was storage when not in use. It's compact device when folded and the pole is retracted, the diameter is not over 3 or 4 inches, but the cloth tube is about 6 feet long. It can be inconvenient to store on board.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Right, I have two stations for a 7' market umbrella. One on the companionway ladder, when moored; one on the pedestal guard for the helm, good for sailing up to 20 lknots. . The mounts are just sections of PVC tube. A vented market-style umbrella works best for me.

1675048422087.png...1675048485499.png

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Since Christian has not yet weighed in, I shall reference his practical solution of carrying an umbrella around for shade. I have also done this for years, with an "Anchor Shade". Works great for motoring on windless hot days and also when moored. Recently we did have a bimini installed, and we like this a bit better, but it can block the view of the sail when sailing. (Only showing that most 'solutions' often reveal new or different problems...)
:)
Edit: one little problem we had to solve was storage when not in use. It's compact device when folded and the pole is retracted, the diameter is not over 3 or 4 inches, but the cloth tube is about 6 feet long. It can be inconvenient to store on board.
I have an E26-2 and use a Magma umbrella mounted to the bridge deck. The boom just clears it so I can use it under way, though typically when conditions are light to moderate. Since my boat has a tiller it puts me under the umbrella when I'm steering--on those occasions when I do use it under way. Obviously your situation would be a bit different.

It's great at the dock or at anchor, which is when I mostly use it. Storage for this umbrella is no problem; it fits easily in the quarter berth when not in use. I find that the quarter berth on the E26 is not an especially good berth for sleeping, so it is more or less the boat's "garage," making it the natural place for storing the umbrella.

Photo Nov 05, 3 56 31 PM.jpg

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
My tiller-steered E26 had a bimini in the early 'aughts. A couple of storms or something during previous owners rendered it ripped to shreds and the frame broken beyond repair. Here's an old picture of it from 2001/2002. From what I can tell, it had a cutout for the backstay adjustment.
29463EBF-528A-40B6-B426-9A8B8E7A0709.jpeg

@Alan Gomes posted his picture as I was typing this. I did dig up this thread/post that shows his mounting.

I own a silver version of the Magma umbrella, but I have not yet modified the mounting system like he has. I reached out to Magma to see if they would sell me the little white piece separately; my request was denied. You have to buy the whole mount.

Hope that is helpful! Always glad to see E26 owners chiming in! Post some pictures in an intro thread or blog post - would love to see them.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
My tiller-steered E26 had a bimini in the early 'aughts. A couple of storms or something during previous owners rendered it ripped to shreds and the frame broken beyond repair. Here's an old picture of it from 2001/2002. From what I can tell, it had a cutout for the backstay adjustment.
View attachment 45709

@Alan Gomes posted his picture as I was typing this. I did dig up this thread/post that shows his mounting.

I own a silver version of the Magma umbrella, but I have not yet modified the mounting system like he has. I reached out to Magma to see if they would sell me the little white piece separately; my request was denied. You have to buy the whole mount.

Hope that is helpful! Always glad to see E26 owners chiming in! Post some pictures in an intro thread or blog post - would love to see them.
Yes, the link to my earlier thread on this gives much more detail and shows the final mounting. I also mentioned in the post how I swapped out the blue to the silver version at West Marine.

Breeze26

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have looked at the Magma umbrella as opposed to a bimini as there isn't that much cockpit space in the E-26 and I usually essentially single handled when just my wife and I are sailing, so I have to hop around quite a bit, particularly if we're sailing on Presque Isle Bay off Erie.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have looked at the Magma umbrella as opposed to a bimini as there isn't that much cockpit space in the E-26 and I usually essentially single handled when just my wife and I are sailing, so I have to hop around quite a bit, particularly if we're sailing on Presque Isle Bay off Erie.
I'm on a lake, too (MUCH smaller than Erie) and there's lots of moving around. So something like a bimini is probably better for us if you want to have it in use for longer sails. However, when looking at multiple B.O.A.T. units for a bimini frame and canvas versus $150 for an umbrella, the choice was easy for me. I'll have some shade if I'm on a slow downwind or if anchored out somewhere.