Boat Name Location

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Since I bought it, Arcturus has remained naked of any markings except the registration number. (A PO had custom winch-handles made, and he shouts out his name on the AIS channel, but there's nothing on the hull.) For xmas, I bought him a pair of name decals as a "stocking stuffer." Which have been sitting in the shop in my "projects pending" pile. So I might stick them on today or tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on the best location for a boat's name? I had thought to put them inside the cove stripe, somewhere aft. Or just below it if they don't fit. But they could equally well go amidships, or even just one on the stern. But the stern has the boarding ladder in the middle. Rationale why one spot is better than another?

What about a hailing port? I did not buy decals for one. For one thing, I don't see how they would fit in the cove stripe scheme. For another, I find many of the hailing ports around me just a little too precious. Such as the big motor yacht at the end of the dock that supposedly sailed there from somewhere in Colorado... About half the boats in my marina have names and about half of those have hailing ports.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I have been pondering that, too, and the answer is... I don't think there's a "right answer". It's what looks right to you.

For me, I like the name on the aft quarter; I want it to be easy to read, with a little personality, but not so much that it distracts from the lovely lines of the boat.

I mocked up the name (and home port) in a variety of different sizes and styles, printed them out, taped them to the side of the boat and took a few photos. With those photos, I can fuss with sizing and location using "paint" (or photoshop, or whatever).

Here's a sample - this is *crudely* photoshopped image of one possible style and location for Makana. After moving it forward and aft, up and down, shrinking and expanding (mostly on the computer), I think it will end up fairly close to this)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1519 (name at 150 percent).jpg
    IMG_1519 (name at 150 percent).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,261

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Wow, that's a lot more effort than I went to. I did spend an hour trying many of the different fonts offered on the web site. Most of them had fairly poor legibility, but I suppose that can depend on the characters in your name.

It kind of reminds me of buying paint for the house. "Gimme some blue." "Oh, would you like to take some color swatches home? We have two hundred thirty shades of blue..." "I'm not married. Just gimme that one."

BTW: I used "boatdecals.biz" which, was less than half the cost of the "boat US" site, even with the "member discount." They came in about two days. I suppose local sign makers could have done it too, but this way I didn't have to get off my ass.

JPS27

Member III
name placement

here is what I did after lots of angst :). I'm happy with it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• on lift.jpg
    on lift.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,003

u079721

Contributing Partner
This is what we settled on. Forward of the beam looks weird, and if you put the name amidships it will most certainly get scratched by fenders and such.

Attachments

• 210.jpg
    210.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 442

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Wow, that's a lot more effort than I went to.

(laughing) Yeah, well, it's been raining almost non-stop for weeks around here. This is a way to "fuss around on the boat" while still warm and cozy in front of the fire ;-)

Blue Chip

Member III
Boat name 2 cents

With an Ericson and t's unique stern PLUS in most cases a boarding ladder I just don't think the stern works for most people.

Attachments

• NEW 055.jpg
    NEW 055.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 63
  • BC Dock 18.jpg
    BC Dock 18.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 68

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A hailing port on the stern is required for documented vessels. The most popular dodge has been Wilmington, Del., where your corporation lives.

Otherwise it's just taste. A big name was helpful for indentification, in case a ship is looking at you with binoculars so as to report to the Daily Mail that you have arrived off Cape Horn, and is better than those messages in a bottle that Bernard Moitessier used to toss over.

Nowadays? Not so much.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well OK Then

attachment.php

I might order up a hailing port. I suppose it could go in the blue beneath the name, or under the ladder on the stern.
Man, cleaning up that little area made me realize how much the rest of the boat needs a good spring cleaning!

Oh yes... write down the name, size, and source of the font in the log book!

Attachments

• Arcturus decal.jpg
    Arcturus decal.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 883
Last edited:

fool

Member III
Documented vessel regs from the CG:

"HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
Top of Page"

Yours, of course, isn't documented but it might do good to put names in places where folks will expect to see them.

Stern

Stern is by far the easiest/cheapest.
here is what I did to my E27: back into slip, temporarily remove stern ladder, and voila! Ladder blocks some but still legible.
I recently sold her but plan on doing same to new boat.
tom

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• NewBoatName1.jpg
    NewBoatName1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 408
  • NewBoatName3.jpg
    NewBoatName3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 427

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The trouble with names on the sides is the inevitable rubbing on docks while mooring etc. I like the sides but not the cleaning and eventual replacement.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Solution to naming her on the sides.

Fellas, The simple solution to that problem is to name her Eraser or E-racer, then if any or all of it rubs off, you won't feel so bad. ; - ) Glyn

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Covered up the previous name

Went a traditional route. It also covered up the ghost of the previous two names.

Attachments

• PICT0236 (800x600).jpg
    PICT0236 (800x600).jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 334