Boat names

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I have been considering changing my boat's name since I got her. I'm not worried about luck, if you buy a used boat something's going to break. But what I am concerned about is choosing one that I like and will stand the test of time. When I was a child I was given a parakeet as a gift and I must have named it to 20 different times. After only a few months the bird passed away and when I asked what it died from my older brother said "an identity crisis". I searched and cannot find an E owner whose boat name is just plain "Leif". I have seen variations but not just Leif. I like the name for my 27 because, like everyone here, my first boat was a leaf. I have also thought about the name "Pony". Why you ask? Because I've always wanted a pony.

Teranodon

Member III
I sometimes wonder what boat owners are thinking when they name their boats. Do they consider what the names will sound like on the VHF radio, and how other boaters will feel when being obliged to respond? Case in point: this boat that recently appeared in our marina:

Unicorn1.jpg

Unicorn2.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I sometimes wonder what boat owners are thinking when they name their boats. Do they consider what the names will sound like on the VHF radio, and how other boaters will feel when being obliged to respond? Case in point: this boat that recently appeared in our marina:
Oh my. Difficult to "un see" that one!
:(

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I sometimes wonder what boat owners are thinking when they name their boats.

Heh. I used to race on a sled that was named for the owner's favorite brand of rum.

That was silly enough, but the tender (a 35' RIB) was called "Rum Runner". Besides the fact it was totally a pain to spell out phonetically over the radio, we got lots of attention when clearing customs by phone....

JPS27

Member III
My boat was named Mary Jane, after the PO's wife. So, for me it broke two rules. #1 don't name boats after your significant other (unless you are sure things are rock solid) and #2 don't name your boat with a euphemism that might draw the Coast Guard's attention. I guess it broke the rule of sounding silly over VHF, too.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
An owner in our group just bought a very nice Beneteau 42 and intends to rename it as fast as possible. The name on both sides in 18" lettering says "T.B.D."

Can you imagine calling the Coast Guard or even TowBoat and when asked for the name of the boat, having to say the name is "TBD?"

:D

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I have been considering changing my boat's name since I got her. I'm not worried about luck, if you buy a used boat something's going to break. But what I am concerned about is choosing one that I like and will stand the test of time. When I was a child I was given a parakeet as a gift and I must have named it to 20 different times. After only a few months the bird passed away and when I asked what it died from my older brother said "an identity crisis". I searched and cannot find an E owner whose boat name is just plain "Leif". I have seen variations but not just Leif. I like the name for my 27 because, like everyone here, my first boat was a leaf. I have also thought about the name "Pony". Why you ask? Because I've always wanted a pony.
This is why I don’t have tattoos.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne

View attachment 43829

View attachment 43830
It seems effectively designed to leave people speechless. About the poop deck . In Italy the bow of the boat is called the prua, The stern of the boat is called the poppa. Gondoliers in Venice don't call each other gondolier, they say pope' (po-pay) which means captain. The poop deck is not where sailors do their business, it's where the captain stands.

Last edited:

Teranodon

Member III
About the poop deck ....
The etymology of the poop deck is uncertain. in French, the stern is la poupe but that explains nothing. In Latin, the aftermost part of a ship is puppis. Thus in the 18th century, the large southern constellation Argo Navis (Jason's legendary ship) was divided into Carina (see the recent JWST snap) the hull, Vela the sail, and Puppis (not far from Sirius). But that's fairly recent. It's not clear that there is a relation to the Latin of the ancient Romans. Someone should check the Aeneid. I used to think that there was a reference to the statuette (puppa) of a Christian saint that was carried back there to win the favor of God, but that may be contrived. In the great square-rigged ships, sailors pooped on the forepeak (the head).

P.S. I just checked Virgil's Aeneid online, and found several references to puppis, translated as stern. So it's there in BC Latin!

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
. . . I have also thought about the name "Pony". Why you ask? Because I've always wanted a pony.
In the New England racing circuit there's a boat named "Sparkle Pony". I like to imagine that part of the familial negotiation around buying the boat included letting the kids name it. But that's pure speculation on my part. Whatever the origin, posts in their FB account suggest they went all in on the theme. They do very well.
Regarding "Poop Deck", I can't begin to express how much I loathe that poo emoticon.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
The etymology of the poop deck is uncertain. in French, the stern is la poupe but that explains nothing. In Latin, the aftermost part of a ship is puppis. Thus in the 18th century, the large southern constellation Argo Navis (Jason's legendary ship) was divided into Carina (see the recent JWST snap) the hull, Vela the sail, and Puppis (not far from Sirius). But that's fairly recent. It's not clear that there is a relation to the Latin of the ancient Romans. Someone should check the Aeneid. I used to think that there was a reference to the statuette (puppa) of a Christian saint that was carried back there to win the favor of God, but that may be contrived. In the great square-rigged ships, sailors pooped on the forepeak (the head).

P.S. I just checked Virgil's Aeneid online, and found several references to puppis, translated as stern. So it's there in BC Latin!
One of my favorite parts of that work is the Games Aeneas held in honor of his father, the rowing race is amazing.

Teranodon

Member III
One of my favorite parts of that work is the Games Aeneas held in honor of his father, the rowing race is amazing.

The father and Venus were close, hence Aeneas.

Par une telle nuit, le front ceint de cytise,
Votre mère Vénus suivit le bel Anchise
Aux bosquets de l’Ida.

dandimm

Member II
I renamed my 30+ last summer. The previous name was "U Bet Ur Dinghy" - probably the worst name ever. After considering a few names like Valhalla and Valkyrie, I settled for a name that had a lot more meaning for me. Renamed to Desiderata, Latin for "things wanted or desired". It's based on the poem by Max Ehrmann that I read a long time ago when I was having some personal challenges.
unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I renamed my 30+ last summer. The previous name was "U Bet Ur Dinghy" - probably the worst name ever. After considering a few names like Valhalla and Valkyrie, I settled for a name that had a lot more meaning for me. Renamed to Desiderata, Latin for "things wanted or desired". It's based on the poem by Max Ehrmann that I read a long time ago when I was having some personal challenges.
View attachment 43833View attachment 43834
Nice name. I like Latin, being an important aspect of my day job. I named my previous boat "Sola Scriptura." If I ever get off my butt (after 10 years of ownership!) I may change the name that currently adorns my transom from "Spartina" (which means nothing to me) to "Veritas." We'll see....

My own quirk (and I hope I don't step on any toes here): I dislike any boat name with "wind," "sea," or "dance/dancer" in any combination. Hence: "Wind Dancer," "Fantasea," "Sea Dancer," etc. And then there's "Breaking Wind," which violates not only that "rule" but has other rather obvious problems (worse, I think, even than "Poop Deck," if that's possible). That horrible name comes up more than I would have thought!

dandimm

Member II
My own quirk (and I hope I don't step on any toes here): I dislike any boat name with "wind," "sea," or "dance/dancer" in any combination. Hence: "Wind Dancer," "Fantasea," "Sea Dancer," etc. And then there's "Breaking Wind," which violates not only that "rule" but has other rather obvious problems (worse, I think, even than "Poop Deck," if that's possible). That horrible name comes up more than I would have thought!
Seas the Day :rolleyes:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Much better to be an erudite sailor who names his Ericson(s) after one of the Jazz masters. :)

And somewhat below that on the scale of gentility , those Phillistines like me, happily stuck in the era of acid-rock..... thus our boat's name.

Put your headphones, turn it up to "11", recall the faint scent of patchouli oil....!

Last edited: