• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

boom/mast

I'm a newer sailor, I took all the rigging off my boat, to store boat in garage.......forgot wher the boom goes exactly (dumb). What the black ring on the mast mean? I bought a E23, how many inches from deck to the bottom of the boom; any pictures, comments, etc to help
Sorry for this dumb question
Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Taming the Loose Goose

I do not know how the gooseneck is secured on your model, but there should be a faded black band in two places on the mast and one more at the end portion of the boom.
Back in the Day..... These are a basic racing protocol -- this shows all and sundry that your main sail is not over-sized and that you do not have an unfair advantage in sail area over your competitors. When you and 7 (or 17) other Ericson 23's hit the start line you want everyone to be as equal as possible in equipping their boats so that only your skill is being tested. :cool:
It serves the same purpose in handicap racing nowadays.

Perhaps some of the many other E-23 owners or our very own retired/recovering sailmaker will check in with the details of where to place that loose gooseneck.

Best,
LB

sleather

Sustaining Member
Red Witch, The black ring is the level where the tack pin(in the gooseneck) should be(top of the boom is close enough for guberment work). On my 23 I have a piece of aluminum, above the tiedown cleat, that keeps the boom at the correct level. You can also get a "sail stop"( the round knob shown) and istall that below the gooseneck fitting.

43* here:mad:, but at least the ice is off!!!
icon14.gif

Attachments

• BOOM.JPG
    BOOM.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 51
  • mast2.JPG
    mast2.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 44