• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bow Eye Strength

Joe

Member II
I've always assumed that the bow eye must have quite a lot of lateral strength as it is frequently used to winch my Ericson 25 on and off the trailer, albeit asssisted by the fact that the boat is floating.

But I've now come across images on the internet where a boat is raised vertically using a lifting device that exerts pressure on the bow eye from below (the transom is supported by two boatstands). The boats in these images are usually powerboats that weigh about 6000lbs, and it is commented that in this situation the weight at the bow is substantially less than half the weight of the boat.

Just how is the bow eye attached to the hull on an Ericson 25 and how much of a vertical load can it handle?

(Too timid to experiment).

sleather

Sustaining Member
Good to go!

Hey Joe, I'm sure my E23 is similar. There's substantial blocking glassed into the hull behind the bow-eye and, I believe, a good backing plate(been a few years).
I've always had mine lifted by the eye w/ a strap in back(one less strap to paint around). No problemo! As long as it's a pin that fits thru the eye.

What is that powerboat thing?, some sort of jack?

Joe

Member II
Thanks. It's more like an 8' horizontal steel bar that butts up on the bow eye at the 4' mark (where it is also secured): the two ends of the bar are then winched up.