Cabin Fluorescent lighting fixtures

1911tex

Sustaining Member
For using with dock side power....any suggestions? Perhaps a marine decor design..DC as well as AC?

Dimmable and LED !!!

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We installed one of these lights over the galley, around 15 years ago. Cost is higher now, but I'd do it again.
Low amp drain and choose your brightness level for either white or red.
'Quality goods', as the saying goes.

Edit: I installed a "ThinLite" fixture right after we bought the boat because the interior EY fixture over the galley was not bright enough. That fluorescent fixture was working fine when it was replaced with the Alpenglow, which was much brighter and used even less power.

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
In the early 90’s we installed two twin tubed “Thin Lites” in the main salon (like Loren posted) but with the feature of a double switch for one red (nite nav) or white light usage. They were/are brighter than those old originals and are still going strong today.

The red did fade out over time (which is but a colored plastic tube over the fluorescent tube.) I bought some transparent red cellophane crafting sheets. Then cut to size, slid that inside the plastic tubes and reassembled it all for a perfect color night nav red again.

I’ve since just replaced all other cabin lights with led’s but kept the fluorescent Thin Lights.

We’ve also put in led strips for nite nav floor/cabin sole lighting. They are hidden under mahogany strips and reflect indirectly across the floor. Still playing with the controller to dial it all I n, but you can see the various color options and smoothness of lighting effect. (Next comes a disco ball)

81F4B99A-0F53-41A4-B6DA-2E7D9CEDE304.jpegA9D75FF8-22D3-433D-95CB-59361E37D368.jpeg97B63B74-0D83-4D05-956C-408BCF509A27.jpeg

kapnkd

kapnkd
Forget the notion of a disco ball....ha! Looks terrific and gives me some ideas....Thanks!

Thanks! Our fiberglass sole rises up about 5” and the interior wood stands off it the 1/2” thickness of the wood. The cover trim pieces I made have a channeled groove to which an angled piece of aluminum is fitted that holds the led light strip. I put in a master controller for it all. (I plan on doing more of a detailed blog posting on it when totally finished.)

Here’s a couple more hopefully inspiring photos:

34BD9D05-8D00-466A-BD40-AEF96E9E8FBE.jpeg
Finished side of trim piece

D2195DDC-0EBC-4637-A0F5-5754C6434A31.jpeg
Backside of trim piece & angle aluminum for led light strip

31452139-3269-4019-AFCB-DFAA68866C67.jpeg
Far left side lower corners shows dmx decoders for separate lighting stations. (Settee seat back covers this area)

BB7B5C13-1574-40D7-B0FB-60F5C6B4A0E0.jpeg
DMX multi station controller sits in bulkhead corner and shelf area.

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
Last year I used these on my old Catalina to replace the original 12 light fixtures.

Amazon: Leisure LED 5 Pack 12V Led RV Ceiling Dome Light

Frankly the 40 year old originals were clearly RV (non-marine) quality, so these seemed like a decent upgrade. And low cost.

1911tex

Sustaining Member

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Be real sure that they guarantee them against electrical (RF) interference. RV specifications are not the same as marine spec's -- both fixture and light source.

Last edited:

ChrisS

Member III
Marine Beam sells a large selection of bulbs and fixtures. Their prices are very reasonable, they continually add new products, and when I've called with questions, they are happy to answer.

I've replaced every interior incandescent light with LEDs. Phenomenal technology which has really improved in the last ten or so years.