• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cabin sole removal?

hdlEric

Member III
I have a 1987 E34; the shorter keel model. Does anyone know if the cabin sole is glued to the hull? I do not seem able to remove it. Thanks in advance!!!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Teak & Holly fun

I have a 1987 E34; the shorter keel model. Does anyone know if the cabin sole is glued to the hull? I do not seem able to remove it. Thanks in advance!!!

A 100% true answer will be found when you take up the sections (or... pieces...). Based on the reports of other owners in the past EY used sealant and then screws with plugs when attaching the sole.

(I do know that the sole in our '88 was never glued, but we have have a different-engineered interior than the BK Ericson's of that era.)

Check out the main (but not the only) "glued down cabin sole" thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?1526-Removal-of-glued-down-cabin-sole

Regards,
Loren

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I have an 87 E34 that I bought two years ago. I had all the hoses replaced, the hose for the sea water cooling to the engine heat exchanger ran from under the galley sink to the engine under the floor boards. In order to replace that hose, the yard lifted the floor board between the galley and the engine. As far as I know, it was just screwed down, not glued. The yard said it came up easily and went back down OK.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
'85 E32-3, glued. Must be destroyed to remove.
'84 E38, screwed with plugged battens, not glued. But not designed for periodic removal.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
My E-34 was like Christian's E-32. There was sealant that was stronger than the plywood. For the most part the bottom ply was removed with a scraper after the rest was pried up with long wedges and big hammers.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Here is a crummy pic of the bottom ply before removal. The 2x4s in the pic are some of the wedges.

Attachments

• floor 8.jpg
    floor 8.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 228

Glyn Judson

Cabin sole removal.

Tom, I can only think that about the time of that photo you might well have been thinking to yourself, "Yikes, what have I gotten myself into". You're a brave man along with others who have done the same. Glyn

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
No Glyn, at the time of this pic I knew where the job was going. It was when I took up the first small piece that I thought "Yikes, what have I gotten myself into". It took me two or three daze in December to get the sole up and the grid cleaned up. I had a heater, but the bilge never melted. Being in a very small town I bought what burglar tools I could, and then some 2x4s I got the hardware store to cut on an angle to make long wedges of different lengths. I had to keep the original pieces somewhat together to use as patterns for the new sole.

This was before Al Gore brought warmth to the north country. I still laugh when I remember that the marina owner told me that I could bring a sleeping bag into the heated crapper and sleep on the tile floor. :rolleyes: I opted to stay on the boat.

The new sole is NOT glued down nor are the screws plugged.

CSMcKillip

Here is my pile. Just screwed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 391
Last edited: