Cabinet door track - looking

cawinter

Member III
I am looking for about 4 ft of the brown lower track used in the sliding cabinet doors onboard the ~1988 Ericsons (32, 34, 38, maybe others). Outwater seems to have these extrusions but only in very large quantities. Rockler has them, too (I think) but I seem to remember someone on the list has excess track for sale.

Chris
E34 Dangriga

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Me too. (I tried to keep my response to "Me too", but the web site told me the response was too short (has to be 10 characters). What happened to brevity being the soul of wit?)

Sailsteve

Wanna split an order?

I assume you're talking about the double groove track for cabinet doors? I also need a length of that track for my galley cabinet doors and another place on the boat. If you have a supplier that requires a large order maybe I can share with you to bring the cost down?

Let me know.

Steve Schwartz
E36-RH
Glory Days

cawinter

Member III
Door Track

I am willing to research this further and see if Outwater or Rockler can help. It doesn't seem that a lot of folks either read this or need track. Maybe we can indeed share some of the quantity. I would hate to be sitting there with a mile of track... :egrin:

Chris
E34 Dangriga

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Assuming the minimum quantity is not too outrageous, I am willing to agree to purchase a protortionate share, even if it is way too much. In other words, if four people want to share, I am willing to pay 1/4 (plus your shipping and handling costs to get it to me).

Geoff

escapade

Inactive Member
Me Too!

I would also be interested in purchaseing some track. Don't need any right now, but I'm sure I will some day & I doubt that it will spoil or go out of style!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Sailsteve

I'm in!

Provided it's not hundreds of dollars I would be happy to share the cost of a track order. Please keep me in the loop. I will send money as needed.

Steve

cawinter

Member III
Comparison

I took the measurements of my track from the head. The dimensions are close but not exactly like the Outwater -120 track on OPI-60. The -120 width is about 2/32 narrower (should be ok) and its height is about 3/32 higher (probably ok). The track widths are almost exactly the same (9/16), leading to a slightly smaller gap between the doors if my calculation is correct. I'll try to get a piece of the track to test out. The price is $1.03/ft for 100ft but they state that smaller lengths may be an option. I'll check that as well.

cawinter

Member III
Sample

FYI, I will be receiving a short sample from them in the next few days which I'll test fit and take a picture of. Then we can decide how to proceed. I don't mind buying a larger batch since we all know, sooner or later everyone will come back to this item...

Sailsteve

The price sounds right.

I need it for my galley cabinets, and one sliding cabinet in the main cabin. All together I think that I may actually be able to use about 15 to 20 feet. But, at $1.03/foot per 100 feet, if three or four of us get together I would be happy to pay for 25 to 50 feet of the stuff if we need to buy 100 feet minimum. I'll keep the left over as spare.

Thanks,

Steve Schwartz

cawinter

Member III
Got the sample - Results

Ok. Here is the summary:
I got the samples today. They sent me two six-inch pieces of each lower and upper track in black. Size-wise the lower track is about 1/32 narrower and, as measured before, a little higher. I checked it in the head, comparing it to the old brown original track. The comparison is encouraging: the material is very similar, a little stiffer maybe, with two small ridged in the middle. The spacing of the tracks is ok: the recessed door pulls will pass each other. I have included a composite picture of the old and new tracks in the head cabinet and a direct side-by-side comparison on the deck. You'll see that this looks very good.

I'll check with them tomorrow to see if I can only order the lower track in brown in quantities less than 100ft. I don't care about the upper track. Again, the part number is 120- on page OPI-60 in the Outwater catalog (Plastic Sliding Door Track 1/2" track). I have everyone's email address if you indicated your interest in this forum. I'll also send out a quick note on the sailnet list once I have the track. Since I don't know how bendable this is in longer lengths, I'll have to let you know later what the costs will be to ship it to you. We are getting there...

Attachments

• Track Composite.jpg
    Track Composite.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 155

Sailsteve

I'm in!

Chris,

I'll take a fair share of the lower track that you order. My email address is sailsteve@aol.com. If you're figuring shipping costs, I live in Ardsley, New York and my zip code is 10502. Let me know how much to send and to whom. I really thank you for looking into this. I've been trying to locate this stuff for two years.

Steve Schwartz
E36-RH
Glory Days

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Track Note, and now a faucet question

This is interesting. My '88 Olson has all sliding plastic doors in main cabin and head compartment. All my track (same sort of design as yours) is aluminum.
Not significance, I guess... just interesting trivia.

Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

ps: have you ever put new washers into your faucets? Same model and type as mine...

Last edited:

cawinter

Member III
Conclusion

Ok. Here is the rest.

Outwater DOES sell only the lower part AND in quantities less than 100ft. Good news! They come in 12ft sections which need to be cut down for shipment. This is a gamble, I know, but I asked for 3 sections in cut down into 6ft each, i.e., I'll have 6 six-foot sections of brown track 1/2" available for a cost of $23.36 w/o shipping total. Given the price and their availability I suggest that it doesn't make sense for me to coordinate this but I rather recommend everyone places their own order. It seemed that everyone wanted more than a few feet anyway, and the only question is how little they accept as an order quantity. Their number is 1-973-340-1040 and they are apparently VERY busy.

Just to confirm, I have no commercial, emotional or other interests in Outwater and do not endorse any of their other products nor am I responsible for any dissatisfaction in their services. Claims for any consequential damages are also, of course, not my thing. :)