• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Christian Williams' Hawaii Video 2021

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use less than 20 amps of power a day, half of which is the AIS which is always on. I only run the refrigerator during charging time, which is enough to cool the daily beer.

I can recharge each day with 45 minutes of engine time with the Balmar 100. I discharge the house bank to no more than 60 percent on the battery monitor, then return it to 80 percent.

I budget a half gallon of diesel daily for recharging, so a 20-day passage uses less than 10 gallons for electrical energy. (If hours of motoring is necessary, recharging goes to 100 percent and is "free" on the recharge budget.)

If I lingered for weeks at anchor off the grid like a proper world cruiser, I'd have solar panels. But for simple passage-making, dock-plug-to-dock- plug, using the $15,000 engine as a generator works well. And the sun doesn't have to come out.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Someone will know the answer. (I carry an extra charged battery for both drills.)

I have a little inverter which works to charge a laptop, but my knowledge of larger inverter capabilities is close to zero.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
A fairly small inverter will charge a cordless power tool battery. At least my old Makita batteries.

In my cabinetmaker days guys would take their old batteries apart and "change out the cells" with replacements from a battery supplier. I didn't try it myself but they made it sound affordable and easy. Apparently you could even soup up your drill - turn a 12 volt into 18.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not very closely, since I have 70 gallons and it's just me. Daily use is about one teakettle. Dishes and head is salt water, offshore. That leaves the rest for an occasional shower, which probably only uses about a gallon or two.

I am conscious of the possibility of a tank or hose leak which might quickly empty both tanks.

For emergency I have a case of plastic grocery-store water bottles distributed through the boat. Easier to store than jugs. I don;t buy plastic water bottles ashore but they do have a niche on the boat.

My fluid intake is, er, enhanced by beer and Diet Coke. But when it gets hot, near Hawaii, nothing beats water by the quart.

Stuart 28-2

Member II
This one is 90 minutes long, so pretty hard to watch on a cell phone while standing in a take-out line. Best streamed to a TV screen using the YouTube app. Of subjects often discussed on the forum, it covers the complications of the Cape Horn gear, the threat posed by the inaccessible anchor locker drain, the issue of line buildup in a roller furler drum, the suitability of carbon fiber for whisker poles, and the testing of the Ericson hull form and sail plans in "storm trade winds," which on this voyage often blew above 30 knots for days, and of gale-force wind on the return voyage.

Overall a more rigorous voyage than in the past, but the boat came through well.

Very enjoyable to watch.
Perhaps a tad tough on that guy with the beads.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
From time to time your question regarding Redfords character shaving at his end pops into my mind. Perhaps the character, resigned to his fate, realized he should prepare and look his best for the most important meeting of his life. We all know that this could come at any time for anyone. Your mother's advice about accidents somewhat falls in line with the characters final actions.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We all know that this could come at any time for anyone. Your mother's advice about accidents somewhat falls in line with the characters final actions
More than an urban legend..... My spouse recalls her mother always telling her and her sister to be sure to have on good/clean underwear in case of involvement in a car wreck! No unsightly undergarments! :(

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Just saw it. Corny as it sounds, the section starting at 1:01:23 really touched my heart in a few ways. Your best dialogue yet IMO. Thank you.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
More than an urban legend..... My spouse recalls her mother always telling her and her sister to be sure to have on good/clean underwear in case of involvement in a car wreck! No unsightly undergarments! :(
Oh please. We all live in Speedos on the boat, of course. Expensive and passable gear! Unfortunately, the emergency room still runs a credit check before offering any treatment.

Liked the video, BTW. :)

erikwfab

Member II
Refreshing cruising capture here Christian, a la Siskel and Ebert this gets a Port and Stbd two marlinspikes up! Hope to see you outside the breakwater some day Cheers,

David Grimm

E38-200
Christian, I couldn't help but notice the absence of the upside-down Eastport Pram over the forward hatch. The Revere Liferaft caught my eye in the aft state room. Just doing a financial sanity check here on my preparation for this summers trip to bermuda. Did you purchase the Revere or rent?

Dave

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I bought it--the 4-person coastal compact model is only about $1200, which I figured was good enough for one guy. Rescue, when it works, is fast today with satellite communication. Three years before recommended repack. It's very easy to sell any emergency raft after a voyage and recoup much of the cost. I decided to keep this one, however, as a comfort for guests and family.

I did sell my brand new drogue. I don't like to store gear for years--let somebody else use it. Then buy new stuff when you go again--which is never as soon as planned, anyhow.

I do believe in renting a satellite telephone with separate antenna for offshore. A satphone is pretty useless for me ashore, and satphone owners have to maintain a contract to keep it working.