• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cleat Question for Dock Dwellers

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I keep my E32s on a mooring buoy year-round. Often during winter, I'll tie it by the stern so it's steadier against the wind. Tied like this, the mooring lines pull downward & towards center and have worn ruts in the teak taffrail (red arrow).

After refinishing the teak, I'll likely install SS rub strakes to prevent further chafing. I really only need protection on the inboard side of the cleats where I tie the mooring lines (yellow dashes).

20220807_134211_HDR~2.jpg

Do boats on docks have similar chafing issues on the taffrail? If so, perhaps I should use a longer rub strake to protect both sides of the cleat? I just want to minimize the addition of shiny "bling" to the stern.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I'm on a floating dock that is maybe 8" above the water, so dock lines all lead down from the boat. My finger pier ends before my transom, so my stern line is generally leading off the side of the taffrail. This winter, I intend to strip and refurbish that rail, as you are doing, and I plan on putting a rub strip on the ends, as well as the aft area as you marked in the picture. I would be interested in seeing your results if you do the same.

P.S.: I am sympathetic to your aversion to non-original "bling". I wonder if there is any suitable alternate material than stainless.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm on a floating dock that is maybe 8" above the water, so dock lines all lead down from the boat. My finger pier ends before my transom, so my stern line is generally leading off the side of the taffrail. This winter, I intend to strip and refurbish that rail, as you are doing, and I plan on putting a rub strip on the ends, as well as the aft area as you marked in the picture. I would be interested in seeing your results if you do the same.

P.S.: I am sympathetic to your aversion to non-original "bling". I wonder if there is any suitable alternate material than stainless.
While it's great to have the OEM teak pieces looking shiny and yacht-y, prudent sailors have always also used rub strips to reduce wear/chafe on lines and the trim. Depending on where and how the lines lead to your cleats, adding a proper chock can also prevent wear on the boat.
It took some searching to fine chocks with a proper polished inside radius, but they have eliminated a notable chafe point on our boat. Of course other boats will have different challenges for location of these parts.