Coaming Box

kenstarkey

Does anyone know who made the cockpit coming box on the E38? Mine is wiped out on my 87 38 and I need to replace it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might see if Catalina Direct has something, at one point they did.

I was able to repair the plastic box once using fiberglass and resin (applied from the unseen side). UV kills the plastic so I keep my current pocket covered with a Sunbrella curtain.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
// I was able to repair the plastic box once using fiberglass and resin (applied from the unseen side). UV kills the plastic so I keep my current pocket covered with a Sunbrella curtain.
I did the same as Christian - awkward and messy application of fiberglass cloth/epoxy under and around the back of the coaming box. The repair has held up very well.

hodo

Member III
After an exhausting search I found one on line ,(aftermarket) with a lockable lid. Very little surgery required. Don't remember the brand. I still have the teak trim ring in the shop if anyone wants it.

Navman

Member III
Try "Catalina Direct". They may have what you are looking for. I am currently making one out of some 5/4 cherry I have.

ddoles

Member III
I built a replacement box from oak. It was a bit of a chore, but it the end it looks great and should last a long time.