Cockpit Drain Check Valves

newpbs

Member III
I still have the original cockpit drain check valves in my boat. I'd like to remove the check valves to allow them to drain faster and because they tend to get stuck in the closed position. I know that I read about doing this, but a search for the thread has not been successful.

What is the easiest way to remove the check valve ball from the drain assembly?

Thanks, in advance, for all of your help and assistance.

Paul

DanielW

E-28 Owner
If you remove these (and I assume that you intend to rig it so the cockpit drainage runs straight through) then consider what happens if the hose fails or comes adrift or needs to be changed. It would be nice to be able to close off those rather large holes in the hull.

Guy Stevens

Easy

The OP has chromed bronze drains in the cockpit floor, there is a check ball in them.

Take a pin wrench, which came with them, but probably is lost in the recesses of time, and the covers unscrew.

Remove the ball and clean the entire fitting, use a powerful hose and blow any of the garbage you can't get from the top which has accumulated out through the thru hull.

Then put the whole thing back together with the balls, and see if it doesn't drain a whole lot faster! The balls are rarely the issue, the leaves, and other detritus that are stuck in there are most of the time the real issue.

If you have lost or had your pin wrench lost, you can use two large shanked phillips screw drivers to drop into the holes on the drain grate and use a third as a lever to turn the grate.

Guy
:)

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I've never seen checkvalves in a cockpit drain before but they sound to me like a source of more problems than solutions.

newpbs

Member III
Loren:

That looks just like the fitting that I have in my cockpit. I'm glad that they do not have to be replaced, just serviced.

Guy:

I have unscrewed the covers, but the ball that acts as the check valve, cannot be removed. I will look at them again to see if I missed something. If cleaning them solves my issue I'm all for it. Otherwise, I will do what I can to chop out the ball to insure that the drains flow freely.

Thanks all, for the feedback

Paul

Glyn Judson

Perko cockpit scuppers.

Paul, I have three of those identical Perko scuppers in my cockpit. David of this list has them in his E31 too. They can indeed be removed by using something like a medium screwdriver to wedge past the ball and then by levering it in and partially under the ball, "walk" it out. They are hollow rubber balls and will allow you to use the screwdriver in that manner. Try it again, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Emerald

yep, pry them out with a screwdriver. Also, regarding the price, just poke around used chandleries/eBay etc. I picked mine up for a fraction of new cost. The ball helps reduce backwash through the scupper when heeled far over, and they are a much nicer fitting than what came stock.

Glyn Judson

Cheap scuppers.

Paul, As with David, I also got mine (3 ea. 1 1/2" Perko scuppers) used at literally 1/10th the cost of new ones at a local marine consignment shop. Maybe you can do the same or even call around to the many of them listed on the Good Old Boat web site. I can't tell you how many quality items I've found for my boat from that list as well as on eBay. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Discovered today that our boat also has check valve drains in the cockpit. They were very dirty and the ball had dropped down too far. All is well now!