Cockpit drains 32-3

nbolds442

All 4 of my cockpit drains T together and go to the seacock under the galley sink. (Thanks PO) I need to fix this it looks like the two furthest aft though hulls are where the the center ones are supposed to be connected to after crossing over. At least that's what I understood from the Cockpit" drains to bottom" post. They currently have seacocks and caps on them. I assume the seacocks are unnecessary as they are above the waterline?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I think that the way your boat is currently setup that the caps and seacocks, which shouldn’t be there IMO, are there to prevent water from coming into the boat when healed over. On my E32-3 (1987) the outermost drains cross over to the opposite thru hulls with the inner two “T’d” together to a hose that goes to a seacock under the galley sink. That way when that seacock is closed at the dock the outer two drains are open to the outside directing rain water out of the cockpit. I ALWAYS close the seacock (under the galley sink) to the inner drains because I never trust any seacock when away from the boat for an extended period of time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I used to crew some on a 33RH, and the low side cockpit drain would back flood slightly and put less than an inch water at the lowest angle when bashing to weather. No way would I eliminate any (!) aft drains, tho.
Heck, we have had small/humorous 'water spouts' from our cockpit drains when running in DW @ ten knots when a larger sea would surge against the transom. :)
The Ericson and our Olson both have the actual drain thru-hull fittings above the DLW.

The Ericson's are capable of eager & good performance and it's great fun to drive and crew 'em when (borrowing an ancient sports car term) they "come up on the cam".... ! :)

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I used to crew some on a 33RH, and the low side cockpit drain would back flood slightly and put less than an inch water at the lowest angle when bashing to weather. No way would I eliminate any (!) aft drains, tho.
Heck, we have had small/humorous 'water spouts' from our cockpit drains when running in DW @ ten knots when a larger sea would surge against the transom. :)
The Ericson and our Olson both have the actual drain thru-hull fittings above the DLW.

The Ericson's are capable of eager & good performance and it's great fun to drive and crew 'em when (borrowing an ancient sports car term) they "come up on the cam".... ! :)
I haven’t noticed this on my 33RH bashing to weather . ( which I’ve been doing a lot of lately) . I do have two sets of drains though. One set aft the other set go down to the centerline. I’m not sure if this was standard though. It’s hard to know what was “factory” on my boat because there aren’t many around .

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Just to clarify, hose runs directly from the drain to the opposite though hull? No other hardware?
My crossed hoses each have an in-line open/closed valve (both are frozen in the 'open' position ...).
Like Bolo, I also keep the seacock under the sink closed (from the T'd inner cockpit drains) at the dock.

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
My outboard scuppers go to non-crossed lines, each to a through-hull, with a Forespar valve and PVC fitting on the through-hull. I've never closed these valves and never had water coming in during sailing.

20170906_131428.jpg

The center scuppers are T'd to the through-hull under the sink. I keep this one closed unless I'm on the boat.