Companionway opening - Lexan?

Where can I buy a smoked Lexan sheet big enough to cut out a companionway door? I currently have the three board "set" that is in very nice shape but I'd like to have the option of a one piece Lexan that would allow some light to come in and also be easier to put in and take out for when we are on the boat.

Any thoughts?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Lexan is available in large sheets but buying one big enough and thick enough to replace the boards exactly will be expensive. A simpler option is to build a frame, like a window frame that is the same shape as the boards when they are assembled. Then use a much thinner piece of material for the window in the center. An alternative is to build a second frame with screen in it for ventilation on hot days. I wouldn't recommend Lexan which is polycarbonate. It is more susceptible to UV damage. Acrylic material is a better choice. RT

jkm

Member III
I can only suggest that one way to find where to buy is to contact a sign contractor or company that installs outdoor signage for stores and businesses.

They use sheets of material and can probably steer you in the right direction.

John

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
You could try either of these two out:

http://www.clearcutplastics.com/marine.htm

http://www.selectplastics.com/

I'm trying to get a quote from a local place right now for the same thing. But if they are to high, I'll try one of these two.

I attached pics of what I want mine to look like ( taken from a neighbors boat). Notice the vents are drilled at an angle to keep the rain out.

Attachments

• vents and handle.jpg
    vents and handle.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 252
  • overall.jpg
    overall.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 265
  • lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Lexan/Acrylic hatch board

We replaced the middle of 3 hatchboards on our 35-3. I think we used acrylic and not Lexan, as they didn't carry Lexan in the appropriate thickness. I brought the board into TAP Plastics, and asked them to duplicate it. I came back 3 days later, gave them $70 or so, and had added light in the cabin.

- Cory

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
There are plastics/acrylics shops in any decent sized city. You can look them up in the phone book. I know Boston has at least 4 plastics shops (not sign-makers, but rather suppliers for signmakers and other end-users). You can also look online. Mcmaster has a lot of acrylic, and USplastic.com is another good source (although neither has thick smoked colors).

Acrylic isn't cheap though. I just replaced a hatch glazing, using 1/2" grey acrylic. I paid over $90 for a 3x3' piece. A full sheet is about $250.

Nate

Mindscape

Member III
Smoked Hatch

Jason - let me know if you have any luck at the local place. I'd like to get smoked hatched boards made and if you found a place locally it would be great.

Thanks!

jkm

Member III
I made one out of acrylic, 1/4", obscure. I've used it a couple of times at the island. In some ways the cabin is too bright in the morning for me.

I got it at a local sign shop supplier, they have it up to 3" thick, I believe.

Their web site is

http://gavrieli.com/products_acrylic.htm

I know they ship around California and do fabricate.

John

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
Jason - let me know if you have any luck at the local place. I'd like to get smoked hatched boards made and if you found a place locally it would be great.

Thanks!

Will do - working with two shops: Midland Plastics over in New Berlin and one the web, Clear Cut Plastics. I have supplied both with a cad drawing in order to get an accurate quote. I can't attach either to this post, but they are available here:

hatch.dwg
hatch.dxf

I did attach a pdf of the drawing....

I splash this Saturday!!! looking forward to it.... :D

Attachments

• hatch.pdf
    260.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
One point on this -- I noticed Jason's drawing assumes the sides of the hatchboard go off at the same angle from horizontal to each other. But when I refabricated my hatchboards last season out of (horrors) StarBoard, I discovered something the hard way: my companionway opening isn't symmetrical like that.

In other words, the trapezoidal shape I cut to fit the widths at the top and bottom of the board didn't fit into the intended opening. One side of the trapezoid was too tight, jamming it into the companionway, and the other side was too loose, leaving a gap at the narrower corner.

So, I suggest measuring twice, once on each side! Or use your existing hatchboard as a pattern.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Templates and Mock Ups

One point on this -- I noticed Jason's drawing assumes the sides of the hatchboard go off at the same angle from horizontal to each other. But when I refabricated my hatchboards last season out of (horrors) StarBoard, I discovered something the hard way: my companionway opening isn't symmetrical like that.

In other words, the trapezoidal shape I cut to fit the widths at the top and bottom of the board didn't fit into the intended opening. One side of the trapezoid was too tight, jamming it into the companionway, and the other side was too loose, leaving a gap at the narrower corner.

So, I suggest measuring twice, once on each side! Or use your existing hatchboard as a pattern.

Good Point. :nerd:
I made a plywood mock-up for both the hatches I built in honeycomb for my boat and one for a friend. This was also a good way to get the top shape just right... Often the factory top shape symetry is off a little bit, and you would not want to duplicate their inaccuracies.

Loren

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner

I did use the original hatchboards to make th drawing, being very careful with my measurements. But you do make a good point. I will now mock it up in cardboard first and check it for fit.

Thanks!!!

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
So to keep everyone up to date, I got a response back from Clear Cut Plastics.

A ½” smoked acrylic piece cut to the largest dimensions (for me that's 26 5/16” x 23 1/8”) would be $136.75 plus packaging and shipping.

That price does not include cutting it down and tapering it to 24 2/4” at the base. That extra cost would be based on $80 an hour charge. They gave no estimate on the time it would take to cut it correctly.

They are not able to drill the holes.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Have you tried Select Plactics in CT? They rebuilt my lewmar roll stop fwd hatch and did an awesome job. New lexan, seals, handles and all hardware and seals. I bet they stock a lot of bigger pieces of lexan and would cut to your specs. Talk to Tony there. Not sure of there address but a quick Google should find them.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
By the way J. Freeman ships, I believe. I've never had to use that myself, but sometimes when I call for a price they ask me where I want the piece to go to.