Companionway Sliding Hatch

Cruzzor

Steve B. - Santa Cruz
My E-25 is 32 years old, although I've only had her for a year and a half. The teak hatch has deteriorated - and definitely needs replacement.:esad:

I talked to a local woodworker, a real craftsman, and he can certainly make me a new one. He says he should be able to keep the price below $1200. Since this is 1/4 of what I paid for the whole boat, I'm looking for some alternatives.

I searched this forum, and saw some nice projects, but I'm not that handy. Does ANYone know of a source that will sell a replacement that will install with a minimum of boat modification?

dcoyle

Member III
If you are talking about the companion way hatch boards $1200 seem s fairly excessive. I havent priced out teak lately but you could measure out the area of the opening and price the materials yourself. That would give you an idea about the $1200 price. In my area, southern Maine, a general rule for labor is twice the price of materials. About 13 years ago I had new teak hatch boards built for a Pearson 26 for $350, and that was a big opening. I am with you dont spend that much money, I am sure it can be done for much less.

Cruzzor

Steve B. - Santa Cruz
Nope. I'm talking about the hatch on top that slides fore and aft. It's not flat - has curves.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Have you explored the idea of having it made of lexan? It might be cheaper and would last a long time, as well as let in more light if you are inside on a rainy day. Just a thought...
Frank.

Glyn Judson

Marty's sliding hatch.

Loren and all, I'll say it here because Marty is too modest to boast on himself but I've seen his hatch and it's more impressive looking in the flesh than the photos do justice to if thats' at all possible. You sure can tell whose son he is. There must be something to this gene stuff. Glyn

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My E-25 is 32 years old, although I've only had her for a year and a half. The teak hatch has deteriorated - and definitely needs replacement.:esad: I talked to a local woodworker, a real craftsman, and he can certainly make me a new one. He says he should be able to keep the price below $1200. Since this is 1/4 of what I paid for the whole boat, I'm looking for some alternatives.QUOTE]

Actually that quote you got sounds pretty reasonable. I have priced
teak lately, and it's through the roof. My local supplier is selling
S2S for $20/bd. ft! If you want a pretty curve in it and you are
starting from scratch, figure it's gonna take the better part of a
week to build. These hatches were all built in house at the factory
and individually fitted by hand. If you want a new one like the
original, you either build it yourself or hire it out.

Martin

Last edited:

rgoff

Member III
I rebuilt the sliding hatch on my E27 several years ago. It had teak boards (1-1/2" wide or so) over a plywood base. The plywood had started to delaminate. I took off all teak pieces, including the 4 side pieces. I got some bendable plywood and put a couple of coats of West Systems resin on it. I then reattached the wood on the 4 sides. The front and back pieces gave the plywood the required curve. I then screwed back on the top teak pieces.

I'm no woodworker, but I was very pleased with the results. Took a while, though. Photo below:
hatch3.jpg

Last edited: