Compass Replacement

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have an old Ritchie "Powerdamp" compass mounted on the binnacle of my E32-3 (1987) which I'd like to replace. Not sure if it could be refurbished or at what cost, or if it's really worth saving. Fluid has leaked out since there is a rather large bubble, the glass dome is very crazed and there were some issues with a broken compass adjustment part that I glued back together a number of years ago. Has anyone rebuilt or replaced one of these and if you replaced it then which Ritchie model did you purchase? The outside diameter of the stainless steel body seems to be about 6.5".

Attachments

• IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    685 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 2

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Having had ours economically rebuilt to 'like new' spec, I would advise doing that. You have (approx) a $500+ compass, so replacing it seems unneeded/expensive.

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Having had ours economically rebuilt to 'like new' spec, I would advise doing that. You have (approx) a $500+ compass, so replacing it seems unneeded/expensive.
Loren, Did you do the rebuild yourself or have Ritchie (someone else) do it? I sail the Chesapeake Bay and have not yet searched around to see if there is a local shop to do the work.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, Did you do the rebuild yourself or have Ritchie (someone else) do it? I sail the Chesapeake Bay and have not yet searched around to see if there is a local shop to do the work.
As stated, I found a local compass rebuilder (only one in a city of 1 million + souls...), and he also did the "swinging" of the finished compass after it was reinstalled. Perhaps I just "got lucky"...!! :)

You will need to do some searching, and hopefully some other owners with boats in your area will have references, Check with local USCG for leads and also local tug and towing companies --- by law these folks have to have certified accurate compasses.

eknebel

Member III
MARYLAND NAUTICAL
Your Complete Navigation Resource Center
1400 E. Clement St.
Baltimore, MD 21230 (USA)

Tel: 410.752.4268, Ext. 253
Fax: 410.685.5068
sales@mdnautical.com
www.mdnautical.com
I used the above for new diaphragm, dome, and o ring(around $75). They also offer refurbishment, if desired. They were very helpful, and easy to work with. The issue you may run into is that parts are becoming scarce for the older models. It is a cool store to browse, with a wide ranging selection of all types and levels of navigational needs. I worked with them via phone, and then picked up the parts in person.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I just talked to Ritchie Navigation and gave them the info on my SP-5 Globemaster and they said that the refurbishing for that model is $253 which includes shipping back to me (BTW, a new compass would cost about $1k.) but they are 4 to 6 weeks out which is not a problem because although the compass looks bad I think it's still good till the end of the season when I would take it off for repair. The other option, in the Annapolis area which is where the boat is docked, is at J. Gordon & Co which among many other things does refurbish Ritchie Compasses (they were recommended on the Ritchie web site) BUT.....they need to see the compass first to give me an estimate. I've never had to deal with them before but right now I'm sort of leaning towards sending it back to the source, Ritchie Navigation.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Globemasters are beautiful...decorations.

My phone tells north. I have six GPSs on board. But they don't have style.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
After the compass has been refurbished it will need adjustment/calibration? I know that there are services that do this but has anyone do it themselves? Is that possible or is special equipment needed?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After the compass has been refurbished it will need adjustment/calibration? I know that there are services that do this but has anyone do it themselves? Is that possible or is special equipment needed?
You will need to have the compass -- new or refurbished -- swung, and a new deviation card created.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I'd call Ritchie. They've refurbed two Globemasters for me. https://www.ritchienavigation.com/care-maintenance/factory-reconditioning-program/

If it's just the diaphragm causing a bubble, we can do that ourselves.

Mine has developed a big bubble also. I have to send it in.

E.S. Ritchie and sons, since 1850. Surely one of the oldest American companies. But don't call me Shirley!