Connecting metal fuel like to a fuel hose

SeaRogue

Member II
I am moving my facet pump and primary filter from the port to starboard side of my engine bay. When I removed the facet pump I discovered that the fuel line between the pump and the tank was metal tubing. There is a fitting on the end of the metal tubing to attach it to the pump port.

I need to extend the fuel line across the engine compartment to the new location where the facet pump will be located. I am wondering if anyone here has done that and how they did it. I would expect that there is a fitting that you could attach to one end of a fuel hose that would screw into the fitting on the end of the metal tubing.

Does anyone have any information about how to accomplish the attachment of a hose to a metal fuel line?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am moving my facet pump and primary filter from the port to starboard side of my engine bay. When I removed the facet pump I discovered that the fuel line between the pump and the tank was metal tubing. There is a fitting on the end of the metal tubing to attach it to the pump port.

I need to extend the fuel line across the engine compartment to the new location where the facet pump will be located. I am wondering if anyone here has done that and how they did it. I would expect that there is a fitting that you could attach to one end of a fuel hose that would screw into the fitting on the end of the metal tubing.

Does anyone have any information about how to accomplish the attachment of a hose to a metal fuel line?

A few years ago I replaced and re-formatted all of our fuel and return lines. The original copper line for the supply was rather beat up from what much have been a hurried installation in 1988. The original return line was rubber/fabric.
I replaced them all with new current-spec diesel fuel hose. This stuff is fabric reinforced and seems pretty tough. I also rerouted both lines, although I did leave the Racor in the same location. Racor got replaced with a new model, also.

Now we have hose clamps on each end of each hose section. No leaks and no problems.

In some hoped-for future, I really would like to change that Racor one more time, to a 500 series, and also relocate it out of the engine compartment.

Sidebar: when the Navy stationed me on Guam, I asked the locals why so many buildings in the local town were unfinished. By that I mean that they were in use and had been for many years. Built of concrete block with rebar. Very common sight was a building with a foundation beside it and rebar sticking out of the building end walls in preparation for a continued building front, sides, etc. Same rebar sticking up along the top, for a future second floor.

I was told that many of the older business owners were Chinese and it was their belief that their time on earth would not be cut short if their works here were unfinished!

Perhaps that's why we never run out of boat projects. :rolleyes:
(Sigh....)

Loren

Last edited: