Converting helm back into a tiller

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Awesome thanks for the info! Might be a pain to get off. Did you just unscrew?
Yes, mine wasn't bad. As with most things, I seem to recall some PB Blaster was in order.

The one below deck I'll have to address at my next haul out when the rudder shaft is removed from the tube. I don't trust myself not to drill through both layers (tube + rudder shaft) and I ran out of time at my last haul out.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Go to the "Search" box, upper right. Enter Zerk fitting. Be sitting down with a cuppa when you start. The long list of referenced threads will show a lot that are germane to the question (and some only distantly related!)
My offhand guess is that you will find an OEM grease (zerk) fitting in at least two (or three) places on the tube. And some will be arduous to get to. Contorting and cursing may be involved. Replacement is often called for, after so many decades.

Once you pump a full tube of new grease into the tube and rotate the post back n forth a few times, the steering will be much better. Velvety, as some might say. This is regular preventive maintenance that very few first or second/third owners may have thought about.
Until I joined the EY site I was ignorant about this, and a number of other things as well... :)

irreverent Philosophy 101: buying a larger sailboat is a little bit like getting married. You find that the rewards are amazing, and then find that regular maintenance of the relationship is required, as well. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gablenl

Member I
Yes, mine wasn't bad. As with most things, I seem to recall some PB Blaster was in order.

The one below deck I'll have to address at my next haul out when the rudder shaft is removed from the tube. I don't trust myself not to drill through both layers (tube + rudder shaft) and I ran out of time at my last haul out.
Similar timing predicament. Thanks for your help.

Gablenl

Member I
Go to the "Search" box, upper right. Enter Zerk fitting. Be sitting down with a cuppa when you start. The long list of referenced threads will show a lot that are germane to the question (and some only distantly related!)
My offhand guess is that you will find an OEM grease (zerk) fitting in at least two (or three) places on the tube. And some will be arduous to get to. Contorting and cursing may be involved. Replacement is often called for, after so many decades.

Once you pump a full tube of new grease into the tube and rotate the post back n forth a few times, the steering will be much better. Velvety, as some might say. This is regular preventive maintenance that very few first or second/third owners may have thought about.
Until I joined the EY site I was ignorant about this, and a number of other things as well... :)

irreverent Philosophy 101: buying a larger sailboat is a little bit like getting married. You find that the rewards are amazing, and then find that regular maintenance of the relationship is required, as well. :rolleyes:
I thought contorting and cursing was step 1-5! I had didn’t think I needed to lube up until getting into this project. Figured no packing gland? Ok no maintenance. Oops! Glad I know about it now!

Gablenl

Member I

Got a new Zirk installed. Looks like there is a lot of black gunk in the shaft. What type of grease should I use? Thanks!

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Got a new Zirk installed. Looks like there is a lot of black gunk in the shaft. What type of grease should I use? Thanks!
I used Star Brite Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease NLG #2. I figured a boat trailer axle and rudder post would experience similar environments.
Cheers, Jeff

frick

Member III
I sail and raced my 1971 with a tiler.
I did have a tiller pilot for cruising and it worked fine except on blowing downwind tacks.

Rick

p.gazibara

Member III
I have a list of what I want on my next boat, and #1 is something in the 30 - 35 foot range.
#2 is Tiller steering.
Which pretty much rules out any Ericson I have look at.

If it isn't too hard to convert them over I may still consider an Ericson.
Although one thing I still hate is that wall or is it a Bulkhead across some boats in that size range.
I like a wide open cockpit.
Cinderella is for sale: 35-2 tiller steered. She’s in NZ though.
I also wouldn’t want a wheel if I can help it. Recently sailed a 52’ junk schooner, tiller steered, was a cool boat.