• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

CPT Wheel Pilot

Baslin

Member III
For anyone considering a wheel pilot install, I highly recommend the CPT Wheel Pilot. It is a very robust (86 ft lbs thrust), stand alone system and the install is very easy. Took about an hour. Longest part was running the power cable through the pedestal.

We took our E38 for a test sail Saturday after the install in about 17 knots and it performed flawlessly. 1 Reef in the main and a full 120 genoa. Boat had no problems staying balanced with little effort on the wheel pilot. It is super quite, the only noise is a quiet beep each time the motor makes a correction. The two adjustments are very easy to understand. I feel this system, combined with our Monitor wind vane is a good option for those not wanting to install a below-deck system. I forgot to look at how much power it actually draws while working but I will report back once I get that info. The price is comparable with the Raymarine, but I feel this system is slightly more robust and simple. Some dont like the fact that it cant be integrated with a chart plotter but I prefer this design. Here are a few pictures of the install.

Attachments

• CPT1.jpg
    CPT1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 29
  • CPT2.jpg
    CPT2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 29
  • CPT3.jpg
    CPT3.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 25

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Having heard much good about this device for years, a big THANKS to you for posting this. Trivia is that they use (used?) a Bosch DC motor for the drive, supposedly a windshield wiper motor from some luxury car. (!)
Looking forward to more news about in-use experience.
Thanks again.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Very good..something for me to think seriously about..Thank you! Here is an independent installation video found on YouTube:

Baslin

Member III
One thing I was surprised about was how quick the motor spins the wheel. It is a short quick burst and it works great. Much better than me!

Also, from talking with Jeff at CPT, I was advised to leave the belt somewhat "loose", or atleast not so tight that the belt cant jump from the cogs in the event the boat is overpowered and the motor is fighting to keep course. This happened one time, when we didnt have our first reef in the main and the boat was a bit overpowered. The belt skipped a few teeth and after the wind gust, the CPT got the boat back on course. Once we put in the first reef, we had no other issues. We sailed on all points of sail and I was really happy with the performance.

Note on Location of the control head: Magnetic interference will play havoc on the wheel pilot so CPT sends a small handheld compass to check for interference. I would like to have mounted the control head on the pedestal bar a bit higher but I had already installed the Raymarine anemometer there and drilled holes for the wiring to run inside the pedestal bar. There was a little bit of compass needle deflection in this area so I decided to mount it lower. Although I have to reach my hand through the spokes, I find that it is not an inconvenience.

Blake

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Keep the review of the CPT coming--there's relatively little discussion.

The comparable Raymarine wheel pilot isn't very powerful, and the gears are plastic. It requires close attention to helm balance when the breeze comes up, but perseveres up to about 17 knots. If there are waves to kick the boat around it looses effectiveness at 15 knots. The Raymarine holds course pretty well, within a few degrees. It's quite effective even sailing dead down wind in light to moderate conditions if the sails are balanced.

As to noise, the Ray clicks audibly for every degree of correction when corrections are few. When the motor runs continuously, as in a commanded turn or tack, is just makes the sound of a small electric motor. On the whole noise is only an issue if the Ray is working too hard,

Let us know how the CPT compares as you get to know it. I;m sure they both work fine when motoring.