• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cruising E25's in the Sea of Cortez

Steve Swann

Member III
Jeff Marble and I ("Amigo" and "Seahorse") are thinking about trailering our boats down from Idaho to San Carlos, Mexico to launch for a 10 day trip across to Mulege and Conception Bay and return, March 2006 with our Ericson 25's. We would like to hear from anybody who has sailed down here in a "smallish" sailboat recently who might weigh in with advice and opinions. At this point, you can even tell us we are crazy. :egrin:

We each have very well equipped keel/cb models (at least for big trailerables) and big lake and San Juans experience with these boats BUT we have a lot of questions and homework to do.

FYI, I have flown into Mulege (at Hotel Serenidad) each spring the last 4 years in our Cessna 182 and we know the town and we have seen the area's layout fairly well from the air. We might even consider trailering down Baja and launching, although San Carlos seems like it would be easier and more adventure.

Are there some publications or someone out there who might have specific information you might lead us to?

Steve Swann
Boise ID

PS Anyone else want to go?

Steve Swann

Member III
Undaunted

Thanks, Jeff!

We have traveled down into Mexico a lot, but mostly by small plane. We want to try something a bit different, challenging, but not terrifying. I understand that we are really on our own down there, but where we are going, there is at least some ability to reprovision and there are some locales that I have seen that will give us shelter if needed. Usually the weather at this time of year is pretty benign, but we have radios and I have a satellite phone to pick up long range forecasts and early warning weather, etc.

We'll be making a few more mods on the boats in preparation for the trip. Jeff Marble has a lot of deep water experience that will help bolster my confidence.

Thanks for the links; I'll look at them.

You can always change your mind, come along, and we can see if a 27 really can actually outsail a 25 ! :devil:

Best,

Steve

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
The Sea of Cortez is one of the most spectacular places I have ever been. I explored by canoe, so just a few general thoughts:

1. In some places, you will want fine mesh screens on your hatches to avoid being eaten.

2. The winds in places are psycho. I was once paddling happily in Bahia de Los Angeles on a gorgeous June afternoon among some islands, when I felt a puff of air on the back of my neck. About a minute later, it was blowing 20 kts; five minutes later, I was stranded on an island as the winds were well in excess of 30 kts, and I had to be rescued by a passing fishing boat. I am not sure of why the winds do that, something to do with convection from the desert and the narrow passes through the mountains.

3. As has been said, be self sufficient. When I was heading back north the day after I was rescued, I ran into the people who had rescued me after they ran out of fuel driving through a desert pass through the mountains. I was glad to repay the debt, as both of us were in serious trouble when the other came to aid. There had been nowhere for 250 miles to get fuel, and that was overpriced from drums. One of the appeals of the place is that it is so empty.

4. Take some means to explore the little inlets - some kind of dinghy, or, if you have the money, www.foldingkayaks.org. You can camp on the islands (no permits required in Mexico, but protect yourself from rattlesnakes) or shoreline.

5. The seafood available in local restaurants is truly great and prices a fraction of those north of the border. But, all standard avoiding the water and uncooked food applies.

6. If you travel by road to get there, the best book I found was The Baja Adventure Guide by Walt Peterson. He also talks about good diving/snorkeling/fishing (get a Mexican license if you are carrying fishing gear on board)

7. Enjoy it - I would have loved more time to explore there.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Steve Swann

Member III
Landlocked No More....

We have been gathering information and nearly all of it points to a green light for trailering down to San Carlos, Mexico, late March 2006, to do a (night) crossing to Conception Bay. The tentative plan is to be on the water about 7-10 days.

We will have the ability to reprovision somewhat in Mulege (important for a 25' boat!). We've been to Mulege a number of times before and know there is an adequate grocery store, drinking water, ice, and fuel there.

I will post the requirements for needed paperwork, documents, insurance, etc. if anyone else is interested in making the trip with their boat.

Steve Swann