• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Current Slip Rates at Member Yacht Marinas [UPDATED 2022]

Bolo

Contributing Partner
In Annapolis, at Port Annapolis Marina, I just signed up for another yearly lease to dock my E32-3 for $5200 for the year. “Port A”, as it’s called locally, has great facilities (Trex covered docks, large pool with club house, cafe, marina store, two haul out slips, large on the hard storage area, boat repair staff) and has a great location away from all the “hubbub” of downtown Annapolis. I’m ten minutes off the bay too. So after seeing some of the prices on the west coast I can’t really complain but you folks get to sail year round.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I belong to a local yacht club and my seasonal slip fee(5-6 months a year) is $1175 including electric & Wi-Fi. Also have an annual $175 membership fee and like Loren ours is a DIY club so we all(most....some) pitch in. Winter storage is $900 including haul out and splash so annually I'm out $2,250 all in. We have a bar and a DIY kitchen, racing program and some social events.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I think I am in the most least expensive marina in Richmond,CA at $336/month. Fall and Winter are nice here but in the Summer it will blow 15-20 knots of cold SF Bay wind through the marina. If I motor down the channel 1/4 mile it will be nice and warm and 5-10 knots. Makes it hard to enjoy lounging in the cockpit or doing any kind of rigging or sail work. Too cold to even wax the hull. I am going to try to move to a different dock where I hear it is tolerable at $366/month.

Pete the Cat

Member III
It is a nice micro climate here in Marina Village at closer to $400/month. But you have a 30 minute motor in the Estuary to reach the Bay. Gives you time to rig and pack the sails and fully warm up the engine, but it takes time. Fortman Marina is a little bit farther, less expensive and has good weather as well. I had no idea that Richmond had that difference in that small an area. But you are close to some of the Best Bay Area sailing.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
It is a nice micro climate here in Marina Village at closer to $400/month. But you have a 30 minute motor in the Estuary to reach the Bay. Gives you time to rig and pack the sails and fully warm up the engine, but it takes time. Fortman Marina is a little bit farther, less expensive and has good weather as well. I had no idea that Richmond had that difference in that small an area. But you are close to some of the Best Bay Area sailing.
It is the strangest thing! But it is predictable. I have noticed that if the infamous "slot" is blowing 20+ into Berkeley, it turns left (North) at the hills and proceeds parallel to highway 880 all the way to San Pablo Dam Rd in a path about 4 mile wide. I don't think geography is considered enough in the weather forecasting of micro-climates.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
At Vintage Marina in Channel Islands Harbor, 34' double slip (pier finger on one side only, neighboring boat on the other side), I pay $431/mo. plus $12 electric. Among the cleanest public restrooms I have seen.

Nice doc neighbors. The guy in the boat we share the slip with called the marina office to report a bird problem on my boat. They were cormorants (pretty large birds) roosting on my mast. The office called me and I called him (Derrick who has a Cat 36) back. He had already implemented a neat solution: Hoist a 4-5' PVC pipe with tie wraps protruding from the top 1 1/2' above the top of the mast. Don't forget a tag line or downhaul to pull it back down with.

It took a whole day to clean dried guano off my boat and now it needs waxing even worse than it already did!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Interesting data, especially about the yacht clubs. I have no experience with them. We had been renting 40 ft slips at Shilshole (Port of Seattle) for about $400 a month (2003-4). After moving to a smaller Port marina - Harbor island - we paid less than $350 a month. Both were plus electricity. Harbor Island was a much shorter drive for us than Shilshole. By the time we left Harbor Island in 2018 we were paying about $430 per month plus electricity. Not bad increases over those years, due to low inflation. Plus, the public marinas were well maintained.

We started out renting in Gig Harbor (2018) in a private marina (Murphy's Landing) for $400 per month (on a month-to-month lease) plus electricity, for a 40 ft slip. After a couple years the slip owner offered to sell us the slip. Thank goodness we decided to buy. We could have been given 20 days to vacate if the new owner wanted us out. They aren't building any new marinas around here and most private marinas don't even have a formal waitlist.

Now we pay $140 per month, plus electricity, and have access to the clubhouse, which has free showers and laundry facilities. We were able to make the purchase without a loan (they're hard to get anyway) and we have not regretted it. Of course, we'll be assessed big time when the rebuild/remodel time comes in a few years, but I think we'll make out ok.

jtsai

Member III
A shamless promotion for my sailing club. The Blackbeard Sailing Club in New Bern, NC was created by a group of sailors and the support of the Clak family, who manufactured San Juan sailboats. The club is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. It is a DYI club with a clubhouse capable of hosting former dinners for 100 people. Three docks and a large storage lot for trailer sailors.

The annual membership fee is $550 and the monthly slip rate ranges from $50's to $70's based on LOA. All slips have access to metered electricity. The club membership is capped at 200 but usually has 10 openings due to attribution.

Best of all, free coffee and views of the prettiest sunrise.

Attachments

• BSC docks.jpg
    BSC docks.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 13

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Interesting data, especially about the yacht clubs. I have no experience with them. We had been renting 40 ft slips at Shilshole (Port of Seattle) for about $400 a month (2003-4). After moving to a smaller Port marina - Harbor island - we paid less than $350 a month. Both were plus electricity. Harbor Island was a much shorter drive for us than Shilshole. By the time we left Harbor Island in 2018 we were paying about $430 per month plus electricity. Not bad increases over those years, due to low inflation. Plus, the public marinas were well maintained.

We started out renting in Gig Harbor (2018) in a private marina (Murphy's Landing) for $400 per month (on a month-to-month lease) plus electricity, for a 40 ft slip. After a couple years the slip owner offered to sell us the slip. Thank goodness we decided to buy. We could have been given 20 days to vacate if the new owner wanted us out. They aren't building any new marinas around here and most private marinas don't even have a formal waitlist.

Now we pay $140 per month, plus electricity, and have access to the clubhouse, which has free showers and laundry facilities. We were able to make the purchase without a loan (they're hard to get anyway) and we have not regretted it. Of course, we'll be assessed big time when the rebuild/remodel time comes in a few years, but I think we'll make out ok.
With slip ownership we also pay property taxes, about $850 per year right now. The slips are literally just the water space. The docks, parking lot, clubhouse and manager's office are co-owned and the $140 per month pays taxes and insurance, maintenance, bookkeeper, etc. for the entire facility.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Hammock Island is a small 69 boat marina on Chesapeake Bay's Main Creek, on the north side of Gibson Island and straight west of Rock Hall. Open slips are grabbed fast and mine was $3,100/year and there was a slip in a more awkward spot for $2,600 iirc. (annual only) Very close knit all-sail community without the big marina drunks and on-water craziness. Nicely protected behind Vintner Marina and a spit of land and once around that little point is the opening to the Bay.

A new island feature was recently installed about 1.5 miles out into the Bay and it's called the Ever Forward. ;)

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Newmarks Marina Wilmington California $10ft E27 $270. Great Marina if you need to do a lot of work on your boat. The other great feature is that it's, ummm...$10 a foot.

Navman

Member III
On the Chesapeake Eastern shore at Worton creek, Handys Point marina I am paying $3,100.00 per season. Or $8.15 per foot. I am in a 45' slip with a 38'boat. I stay in the water 10 months out of the year. I haul late in December and am usually in by the first Monday in March, so I get a long season for my money. We don't have a pool or restaurant, but the marina is clean and friendly and has direct access to the bay (5minutes). Price wise, I think its pretty fair.

windblown

Member III
Prices vary a lot in our area (Rochester, NY). Moorage is for the season, which is 4-5 months, or maybe 6 if you can tolerate the cold. For a 32' boat, it averages about $2700, from casual shopping. But you can cut that in half if you're willing to drive farther, and if you're ok at a marina with no facilities like haul-out. Winter storage, on the hard, can run $500-1,200. I nice feature is that often the haul out and launch is usually included in those costs, if you stay at the same location. Free wi-fi and electric are the norm, if available. There is also a dramatic difference in club fees, from $600 per year to $500 per month, year round. The lower cost clubs are member-maintained, and the higher-priced clubs tend to have restaurants, dry-sail lifts, large capacity lifts, pools, and fleets of one-design boats (like Ideal 18's, Sonars, dinghies, opti's, 420's, etc) that members can use at little or no cost. One real advantage of club membership in Lake Ontario is that most clubs have reciprical privileges (usually first or second night free), so you can make 15-30 mile cruising hops from club to club, all around the Lake and into the St. Lawrence RIver without paying the high tourist/transient docking fees. Some people will join an inexpensive club a couple of hours away to get those privileges, and then pay for more expensive docking closer to home.
A big issue in our area is a shortage of professional maintenance people. You can wait weeks (or a whole season) to have someone even "take a look" at a mechanical issue or do something like installation of equipment, or any fiberglass or gel coat work. So, one must find an amazing support community (like this one), and learn to do it yourself.

Navman

Member III
The "new island feature" Tin Kicker spoke of is now gone! I sailed down to see it about 4 weeks ago. Pretty neat to see. With the incident rates of the Evergreen ships maybe they should change the company name to "Everaground".