Custom 0-34

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was poking around the web doing some searches here 'n' there.
This was on a sailing site under the Pic of the Day, and the caption read:
"Olson 34 Sapphire sails from her homeport in Singapore.* Looking good with blue topisides and open transom modification."
Here is the URL, but there seems to be no other identifying info.
http://neversealand.downtothesea.org/2008/11/12/olson-34-pic-of-the-day/

The transom, rear cockpit, and rudder tube seem to have gotten a lot of mods. The hatch garage is missing, and the sliding hatch is a plywood replacement (?).

Cabin ports are framed Lewmar rather than the stock Lexan lenses.
It would be a lot of fun to visit, photograph, and sail on this boat!

Loren

Attachments

• Olson34 custom.jpg
    Olson34 custom.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

brianb00

O - 34
Emailed owner of Saphire

Hello Loren,

your post is old, but thought I would comment. I have emailed with the owner of sapphire. Also, saw the boat once while I was in Singapore for six weeks. It is a nicely done conversion.

Brian
O34 Redsky SF

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Brian,
Thanks for the comment. I have a nice photo of your (former?) Olson 34 Red Sky racing in a crowd of other boats among my boat pictures in desktop rotation. And a high rez version of Simon's Olson!

I have been exchanging emails with Simon over the last six months, too.

I would love to return to the equatorial oceans some day and do some "warm water sailing."

He appears to have, afaik, the very last hull & deck molded out.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

sjconnor

Simon Connor
All Welcome

Any Olson owner should contact me if they visit Singapore, I'd be happy to take them out on Sapphire as long as I'm available.

In two weeks (mid Nov) will be taking her up to Port Klang (200 miles away) to participate in the Raja Muda Regatta to Langkawi. (www.rmsir.com) and need a couple more crew if anyone's avail :)

Cheers,
Simon
(65) 96232977

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ericson owners, too, we presume...

Any Olson owner should contact me if they visit Singapore, I'd be happy to take them out on Sapphire as long as I'm available.

In two weeks (mid Nov) will be taking her up to Port Klang (200 miles away) to participate in the Raja Muda Regatta to Langkawi. (www.rmsir.com) and need a couple more crew if anyone's avail :)

Cheers,
Simon
(65) 96232977

Congratulations Simon! In the history of this web site, you may have just penned (well, keyboarded...) the most exotic invitation in our history, so far. :cool:

Oh My oh My, I just wish I could be there!
:egrin:

How do you yell "Starboard!" in the local dialect?