Damn Leaks-Stanchion Bases

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Wish I had the time and inclination to do a full re-bedding of ALL my deck fittings at once--but who has that much spare time on their hands? Instead I've been doing the triage approach since I got my boat in 2016; engine alternator bracket, bilge pumps, engine panel and trailer plug re-wiring, PSS replacement, a few obvious leaks (deck fill plate, dorade vent, deck organizer, and old teak winch pads). I just started a standing rigging replacement this spring, thinking that was the next responsible "big" project to tackle. And, now, in the middle of summer, I find some failed stanchion base beddings.

It's not rocket science. If you had to pick the leaky hardware, it's not a tough guess.

20220816_150344.jpg Good.

20220816_150432.jpg 20220816_150327.jpg Leaking. The stained paper towel I tucked up under the headliner months ago shows a failed seal on at least two bolts.

Sitting fairly far outboard on the boat, the stanchion nuts are between tough-to-reach and nearly-inaccessible. The zippered headliner allowed access to some, but further aft, the headliner zipper doesn't even open because the sidewall cabinetry for the wine rack prevents zipper movement that far aft. Unwilling to solve the mystery of disassembling the wine rack, I attacked the headliner with scissors, wire cutters, a box cutter, and finally a hand torch. Hell the headliner above the wine rack is only visible with your head below the stove anyway. The tool of choice for nut removal here was needle-nosed Vise-grips.

When I over-drilled the bolt holes with a 1/2" bit, I found varying degrees of wetness. Yet after hogging out some additional plywood, most of what I removed was dry. So I drilled some extra holes and planned to simply let the area dry out in the August sun for a week or so.

The rusty-bolt telltale confirmed, I attacked the adjacent stanchions as well. For whatever reason, most of the starboard stanchion bases are in worse shape than the port ones. Maybe the PO kept the boat docked on the starboard side and those got tugged on more that the opposite side. Most of the stanchion areas providing little access from below, and not wanting want to tear into the decking from above, I'm hoping the drill/dry/refill with thickened epoxy approach will be sufficient.

20220816_190227.jpg 20220818_205120~2.jpg

I have some rusty stanchion bolts under the bow pulpit as well, but can't access them due to the anchor locker liner (which, including the drain hose, is apparently a lengthy project in itself). I'm thinking about just drilling some 4" access holes in the liner (to allow access to the stanchion bolts) and then committing to trashing the liner, at a later date, in favor of a wood and fiberglass bulkhead wall, as others have done.

Never a dull moment with a 37 year old boat.

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks like a good solution. Have you found any where the nuts have been glassed over yet? Those are fun ones too!

Wouldn’t it have been great if the design of the interior allowed easy access to every deck fitting. That should be a basic design requirement for all boats.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Have you found any where the nuts have been glassed over yet? Those are fun ones too!
No, haven't seen that yet but I have 8 or so stanchions to go. I know I won't get to them all before fall so I'm thinking about just pulling some of the rusted bolts and sealing over with caulk. It's unlikely to stop the leaks but I wonder if it might facilitate drainage through the hole rather than into the wood core.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
and sealing over with caulk
What about Gorilla Tape? It seems to last about over a year or more in the PNW if you apply it to clean surfaces. Removes pretty easily and any residue cleans up with mineral spirits.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My sympathies, Ken!! As you know from my blog entries last year I had several nuts/washers under parts of the long genoa tracks that were partly hidden by interior cabinetry. (The deck hardware on these boats was installed before the deck was placed on the hull.)
I had to use a dremel and vibration cutter to surgically remove an inch or two of plywood and a bit of tabbing in places invisible when the interior vinyl liner is back in place. I had to create *just enough* room to get an end wrench in place and turn it a flat or two.
"All's well that ended well" but it did get tedious at times.

As for the need to "pot" all of the holes, IMHO that is due at or before 30 years, and what with EY using 5200 and countersinking the holes, that's waaaaay longer than these will stay waterproof on lesser-built boats.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Never tried it. Is there more than one kind? Will it stick to non-skid too (the holes are only about 1/4" away from the non-skid)?

I have used blue-painters tape. You can work it into the grooves of the nonskid with a fingernail and it conforms to the pattern. Then, cover all the tape surface with silicone caulk to prevent deterioration. Gorilla tape sounds easier though.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I had to use a dremel and vibration cutter to surgically remove an inch or two of plywood and a bit of tabbing in places invisible when the interior vinyl liner is back in place. I had to create *just enough* room to get an end wrench in place and turn it a flat or two.
I may have to do that for reassembly. Don't know that I can get a backing plate, washers, nuts, and a wrench back through the same small gaps I just for disassembly. I've been considering using holes saws and an oscillating saw to cut "permanent" access slots in some of the cabinetry. No sense in NOT building in some accessibility as part of the rebuild.

As for the need to "pot" all of the holes, IMHO that is due at or before 30 years, and what with EY using 5200 and countersinking the holes, that's waaaaay longer than these will stay waterproof on lesser-built boats.
Yep! Your boat's refitting is my "gold standard" of re-fits. Must be a great feeling to not worry about water under all those fittings every October!

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Gorilla Tape is just heavy duty duct tape with pretty thick adhesive. It will stick to nonskid if its clean and dry. I haven't heard of the blue tape/caulk trick before. I would guess the Gorilla Tape would perform the same function. I think they have other kinds of tape, but its just the black roll you can find at Home Depot, etc.