Dead Adler Barbour

Jon Libby

Member II
Well we are in the new boat and had planned on replacing or up-dating the refer unit before we leave to go cruising or live aboard. But it looks like now is the time. The unit is compressor is blowning fuses and only when the old 4 pin connector is plugged in. My question are being an older unit with R-12 in it can I still use the existing evaporator in the box. We just re worked thr box and HATE to get into that again.

I would really like to have a keel colded unit that could also double as boat A/C. Any input to start me off would be well apprecated.

Check out the new boat and my wifes Bolg @

www.ericson-36c-kasidah.blogspot.com

Thank in advance
Jon and Arline
Kasidah 36C #14:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, we had to have our household heat pump unit replaced last year. All the contractors I spoke with, including the ones that did not win the bid, said to replace the copper lines because it was 99% likely that contaminants from the older refrigerant would harm the new pump and compressor in time...
:(
The technology has its similarities, AFAIK.
When I did the install of the Frigoboat system (with "keel cooler") on our boat, all the parts were precharged with refrigerant, and it was said to be the newer legal stuff.

Unfortunately for your situation, the copper lines to the evaperator that I spent some hours bending to the right shape and installing in our box are permanently attached and also precharged.

Until an expert checks in, my take on it is to seriously consider starting over... The A-B systems have a great rep for working for up to 15 years without a problem, but every product has a life limit.

If you do a Search on this site for words like 'keel cooler' you would find several threads. This is just one:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1663&highlight=keel+cooler&page=2

Let us know how the repair comes out. I followed the link to your sailing blog. Good Looking Ericson!

Best,
Loren

Jon Libby

Member II
Thanks for the links to the info and form site.

I've started to look at unit that can run as an air cooled condenser unit or has the ability to be cooled by water. This way I can have the best of both worlds. Air colded when away from the boat for a few days, because I'm such a nut about thru hulls being closed when not on the boat. Or sea water cooled when at the boat and being in warmer climit.

Saw it at Defender and several other places even at a better deal.
I beleive I'll have to replace the whole thing and we're fine with that

Jon and Arline

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I've started to look at unit that can run as an air cooled condenser unit or has the ability to be cooled by water. This way I can have the best of both worlds. Air colded when away from the boat for a few days, because I'm such a nut about thru hulls being closed when not on the boat. Or sea water cooled when at the boat and being in warmer climit.
Jon and Arline

Thats the really neat thing about the Frigoboat keel-cooler setup that Loren has. It uses the water to cool the system but there are no seacocks to worry about. The heat exchanger is simply installed through the hull and sealed in. It won't leak anymore than a keel if properly installed. When I replace the AB I have thats the system I am going with. RT

Jon Libby

Member II
Yeah,

I think that's the real setup I would Like, It could double as the compressor for boat A/C,...I think. Only proble is I'm just not up for a haul out yet$$$.

Jon and Arline