• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deleting unposted Forum responses - my deleted/discarded response text keeps coming back

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Sean,
Late one night I was typing away to respond to a thread in a Forum and then decided it was superfluous and deleted the text. Next time I came in the text was sitting there in the response box at the bottom of the thread and it persists today. So, I wonder if I need to clear my browser cache or if there is a setting in the software that is meant to help prevent loss of responses that is saving/preserving text that we want to intentionally delete?

Thanks for your continued support of this site. I like the new software platform!

Best regards,
Craig

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I noticed that too. A bit unnerving at first. Apparently the draft text stays there forever, waiting for us to hit the "post" button, unless we delete it.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
It's most likely the result of the new protections put into place to prevent edits after a certain amount of time. I'll have to look at the settings to see where the draft text is controlled before it posts to final. Let me take a look at it and I'll try and get back to you within a couple of days. Can you give me the URL of the thread you're referring to?

Thanks,
//sse

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks, Sean. I just reproduced it I think, on this thread. Initially I couldn't get it to stick by typing and deleting. I tried typing and previewing and then deleting. Not sticking then either. Next I typed a response and then went away to other parts of the forum for a few minutes and came back and found it sticking there.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Good, that means you can't see what I didn't post. You would likely need my credentials to see the unposted text. This is what I saw when I went back there a minute ago.

Stuck text.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup. I noticed the same text 'artifact'. Must be some "is it a bug or a feature?" part of the site software.

Last edited:

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
It's a feature of the XenForo background software. A trick to work around it is to replace your text with a single period, post that reply, then delete the post immediately.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
So then it's an un-posted response to an existing thread that I'm looking for - one protected by auto-save.

Ok, I'll go through the controls for this tonight and do some testing with the test account and get back to you.