• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

DIY salute cannon?

paul culver

Member III
Has anyone tried firing a 12 ga blank in an Orion flare gun? I can't afford the $$$ for a salute cannon but I'd sure like to make the noise.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Bad idea. A plastic flare gun has no mass to it and is likely to hurt when it kicks up in your face. And the fact that it is a blank makes little difference. People had died from firing blanks and thinking they were harmless.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Our club doesn't use the 10ga cannon anymore either- they used to use it for the "gun" on Race Committee- but too many people blew holes in gelcoat or canvas with the blanks to make it seem safe. We now use a sawed off shotgun & blanks, which would be a little safer (though not much- couple of people ended up paying for repairs when the blank blew a hole in somebody's sail).
I give the occaisional nut on the powerboat a salute- but hand gestures are free. Who else are you saluting?

Chris

sleather

Sustaining Member
I seriously doubt the barrel's designed to retain the powder charge from a 12GA blank. It's still ejecting the powder retaining wad and would more than likely either shrapnel-ize the barrel or destroy the locking mechanism.

Chris, Has the "sawed off" been approved by local LEO's? A guy here in WI is in deep doo doo for killing his lawnmower w/ a sawed off shotgun.:rolleyes: The short gun got him a felony charge!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080725/ap_on_fe_st/odd_mower_madness

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Law enforcement was consulted when they made the change- it still meets legal requirements for length- just a little shorter so it is not so unwieldy. Our club works pretty hard to stay within the confines of the law on most things- now if I could just get them (and all the chesapeake racing venues) to enforce the holding take rule/law:rolleyes:
Chris