Dodger window covers

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
I'm in the process of replacing the canvas and windows on my hard topped dodger. Have an estimate of $350.00 extra for window covers. How much will this extend the life of the dodger? Heard covers can scratch the windows. Is this true? Is it worth the extra money for the covers? Any incite would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe

I have them, and recommend them.
Mainly for preventing sun damage (yellowing if you've seen windows that don't have them) so not so important in PNW where you an I are as it would be in CA or FL.
But still, I think it makes a big difference. My slip faces the sun most of the day. After 6 years my windows still look like new -- no scratches.
tom

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• E27-SVReset2.jpg
    E27-SVReset2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 55
  • E27-SVReset9.jpg
    E27-SVReset9.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 85
  • E27-SVReset10.jpg
    E27-SVReset10.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 64

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dodging the Issue

Photos of our method of protecting the windows in reply #6, in this earlier thread--
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?11992-Custom-minimalist-dodger-ideas

Our dodger is now 20 years old and so is the drop-over cover. Even with protection the old 'clear' windows are getting less clear all the time. :)
I have heard very good things about the newer Strataglass product for a long time now, so that would likely be part of a new dodger when we have one made.
One factor in favor of the all-over cover is that it is far less labor (and $) intensive than the dodger itself and the Sunbrella material is the main cost. Relative to our dodger, that cover was inexpensive. Given how good the actual dodger looks, given its age, that cover paid for itself in a few short years, IMHO.

Loren

Last edited:

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
Loren thanks for not responding to my short sightedness. Was able to find reply #6 finally and viewed your winter cover for the dodger. Thanks again, Joe

geoatk

Member II
dodger

That price sounds good. I am putting windows and zippers in mine right now and in have spend $140 on materials already. I even went with 20 weight window material because I expect to only get a few more years out of the canvas. I like the idea of a cover for the entire dodger. 20150614_070435.jpg