• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Drifter or Spinnaker

bayhoss

Member III
On the Chesapeake, we get days where the air is so light that the standard sails just can't pick up and fill. I've been giving some thought to the purchase of a drifter or perhaps an asymmetric spinnaker for those extreme light air days. Which will serve better? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Frank
E28+ Valinor

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I can only comment on the asymmetric. An old UK "Flasher" asymmetric came with my boat. Its in a sock which makes it very simple to deploy and retrieve. I only use one sheet so I don't jibe it, just set it on the side I will be sailing on. Usually I only get it out if I am going to be on that tack for several miles but when I do, in light air it can add 2kts to boat speed. Looks cool too. RT

Emerald

I also have a UK Flasher on Emerald, and it has been a great sail for light air days. It deploys easily from the sock, isn't hard to jibe once you get the hang of it, and fits many of those Chesapeake days we get. I've been amazed how high it can "point" ,as well, making it more versatile than you'd expect.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The best sail for these conditions is a purpose built Assym. I sail my 38 a lot a night on the chesapeake and in the light air. The boat came to me with as most boats do a "practically brand new" " cruising Spinnaker". The reason these " Cruising Spinnakers" are almost always in brand new condition is beacuse the majority of them are horrible sails IMHO. Seth can comment better but my understanding is that sail design as it relates to spinnakers has experienced a huge evolution in the past 5-10 years. The new "A" sails can be easily tacked to the bow with no sprit or pole needed. They also will allow you to sail very close to DDW or 180* apparent. The traditional crusing kites would never sail this deep beacuse without a pole the luffs would never rotate enough to windward to keep them filled in light air. My A sail from Q can be set wing and wing in the really light stuff and allows me to sail deep angles with none of the extra gear. I have a block attached to the side plate of the anchor roller through which the tack line runs. I then have a 3:1 purchase for the tack line that is led aft just like the roller furler line to a ratchet block with a cam cleat. You can just as easily lead the line through the anchor roller to the bow cleat. My sheets are spliced together like a bridle with about a 2' tail that attaches to the clew. This bridle set up makes gybes smooth. One sheet as RT suggests is even easier. I use a "Chute Scoop" snuffer but if I had to do it over I would spend the money and buy the ATN Snuffer. It is about twice the price of the chute scoop but a far superior design. I had one of those ATN Tackers that hooks the tack to the furled genoa but ditched it because it was not needed with a good sail and with the old cruising kite it loaded the forstay in a way not intended. ( laterally).

So to make a short answer long my advice is to get a purpose built "A" sail designed for YOUR boat as first choice. Second would be to consult a sailmaker and get the ideal dimensions for choice one and do your best to find a fit from a used sail broker like bacons. What I would not do is waste money on some rarely used "Cruising kite" from the 80's.

Because our "A" sail works so well we use it a lot. Its easy to set, fly, and douse single handed. You will likely see this in light air on the chesapeake:

Attachments

• DSC03378.jpg
    DSC03378.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 904

PDX

Member III
Nice picture. That sail has a way nicer shape than the 80s parachute that came with my boat.

Is the A the so called "reaching spinnaker" that allows you to close reach?

You started to lose me beginning with, "I have a block attached to the side plate of the anchor roller through which the tack line runs." Do you have any pictures that show this setup?

Thanks.

Steve

Member III
Flasher

We use a UK flasher as well, it can be a pain, but when conditions are right... it's a beautiful thing.... now where do you want to stuff it when we're done.. again, Admiral?

Steve e35-3

Attachments

• IMG_0694a.jpg
    IMG_0694a.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,085
Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
Steve - that's a pretty sail.

Frank - I use a 170% nylon genny for 2 - 6knts. I also have a flasher and small Flasher (from my old 27). The 170 has hanks, but I set it flying so I don't have to drop the furled jib. The flashers (especially the big one) catch more wind, but the genny is great for short handed sailing and for lazy guys (like me).

--Steven S.

Steve

Member III
Agree

Agree with the lazy part, or perhaps it's more of a practical matter. Short handed sailing with a spin or flasher can be rather testing, especially if the breeze freshens with all that material in the air. .. ya ho! Kinda reminds me of shrink wrapping a mast if your not careful.

Sven

Seglare
After seeing those pictures I sure hope our recut symmetric to asymmetric spinnaker will come out well. It should be ready by next weekend so then we just have to figure out how to fly it (after getting an ATN sock).

-Sven

RayS

Member I
Our 1970 E32 came with a spinnaker and a drifter when we bought it about ten years ago. We put the spinnaker in the attic and use the drifter. It has proved to be a very useful sail. We got a tear in it and took it to a sail shop for repair and they we very encouraging about the use of a drifter here on the Chesapeake Bay. I have not used it since putting on roller furling but the sail shop fellow pointed out that since the drifter has a wire stay and only attaches to the middle of the forestay at two places it should work well enough in very light air just attached at the top and bottom. The drifter is easy to put up and easy to handle and works like any other genoa sail. This is more important for an older couple than trying to go a bit faster.
Ray Stevens

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I cant speak from experience on the drifter but my preference is the a sail because:

1. The sock makes dousing single handed very simple.
2. You can sail deeper downwind with an A sail than a drifter in light air. Drifter gets blanketed by the main much easier.
3. The A sail will go up to 60* apparent in light air, plenty high for me.
4. no hanks or wire to deal with, just stuff the whole mess in a bag never gets twisted in the sock.
5. I have an A sail I would have to buy a drifter:egrin:

Alas no photos of the tack line set up but i will try to describe. Starting aft attached to a stanchion base is a single ratchet block with a cam cleat. The tack control line runs forward through this and several other blocks. near the bow this line goes through a 3:1 using a single with a becket and a single attached to a stanchion base. The single with the becket has another piece of line attached to it that runs forward and through a single attahed to the anchor roller then up to the tack of the kite. The 3:1 has about 12' of travel so the tack can be eased way out when sailing deep helping the luff to rotate to weather and sinched down tight when we need top point with the sail.

Last edited:

Emerald

I think I'd have to agree with Ted on going with an asym, especially if I was starting from scratch. I've found the sock makes it so easy to deploy, even without much crew or experienced crew, and the performance in light air is amazing. My flasher was built for Emerald, and is 817 sq ft. My normal sail plan is 497 sq ft. I think you can see where I'm going with this. Being able to fly an asym with that much sail area makes a day with 5 knots a fun sailing day. I've also been amazed how high I can get her to point with it, which I might add can be quite the ride if the breeze kicks up a tad. :egrin:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Was out singlehanding (kids on board wife at home) saturday with this kite. Winds were very light and very few other boats were even able to keep steerage. I set the kite and sailed into Rhode river all the way to anchor. When we got close I snuffed it, rounded up head to wind, dropped the anchor , backwinded the main to set the hook. This system is very easy to use short handed.