E 26 Mast height

The official manual for my 1987 E 26 is unclear (to me) about the mast height. The specs list the "I" measure (deck to top of mast as 30.5'. However, it also lists the "P" (boom to max height of main) as 31.5' . It would seem unlikely to have a mainsail luff longer than the entire height of the mast.

However, what I need to know is--what is the actual height of the mast on a 1987 E26?

If you can help with the I/P puzzle that would be great, too! Thanks.

Vagabond39

Member III
I / P measurements

Pete:
I is the measurement from the deck to the masthead, on a masthead rig. The 26 2 is a fractional rig. So, I is the neasurment from th deck to the top os the jip halyard. The 26 (Crealock) was a masthead design. Built in 68 / 69.
As for bridge clearence, the top of the mast or windex / antenna. from the waterline, haul a tape up, measure to a horizontal at the mast step a halyard, and then measure your freeboard,and up to the horizontal, with the boat loaded as you normaly sail it. Add these two plus anything above the halyard shives.
Bob

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The official manual for my 1987 E 26 is unclear (to me) about the mast height. The specs list the "I" measure (deck to top of mast as 30.5'. However, it also lists the "P" (boom to max height of main) as 31.5' . It would seem unlikely to have a mainsail luff longer than the entire height of the mast.

However, what I need to know is--what is the actual height of the mast on a 1987 E26?
If you can help with the I/P puzzle that would be great, too! Thanks.

As Bob points out, your fractional rig has a measurement from deck to forestay attachment for the jib. Your fore triangle does not include the distance to the masthead above the forestay.

Bridge clearance -- To get a real-world number.... hoist the end of a 50 foot tape measure all the way up with the main halyard, and lower the other (reel) end to the waterline. Then with your binoculars and the estimating ability of the reliable Mk One Eyeball, estimate the remaining distance to the top of the vhf antenna and/or the spike on the Windex. Probably another 3 or 4 feet.
Add the numbers and post a note somewhere inside the boat. Next time you approach a bridge you can refer to your note.
I would bet that you need about 42 feet, or a tad more, for your boat's "air draft".

Just one more thing, as the saying goes: tie a spare tag line to the end of the main halyard shackle along with the little metal loop on the end of the tape. That way, if the tape end comes off, you can still get that halyard down.
:)

Regards,
Loren