• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 29 Gasoline Tank Replacement

Cutbait61

Member II
Before I ask the question I did execute a search of the archives for the subject matter and did find several threads regarding same.

Situation: 1976 E 29 ..original fuel tank...Atomic 4 engine ( which runs fine btw) ...PO did mention he had to pull the tank and repair some leaks at one time..so..I'm considering replacing the original tank...and installing a plastic tank..opinions/advice/pros/cons/personal experience/recommendations
Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We don't seem to have many specific threads about gasoline tank replacement.

What material is your factory tank?

frick

Member III
I took my 1971 E29 tank to a shop in Farmingdale Long Island. They did an exact replica for 250 Dollars. That was over ten years ago now. The nice part was that ll the hoses matched up 100 percent.

Rick

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it's aluminum, we have many accounts of repair and replacement options as this is a popular issue. Threads will have further internal links.

Here're a few, any of which can be a good place to revive with new questions:

Cutbait61

Member II
If it's aluminum, we have many accounts of repair and replacement options as this is a popular issue. Threads will have further internal links.

Here're a few, any of which can be a good place to revive with new questions:

[URL

Cutbait61

Member II
Considering the age of the boat and what I've found so far regarding the work the PO did himself in other areas , I think the best thing to do is to remove the tank and have another fabricated and use the original as a pattern , provided I don't have to destroy it to get it out , which I don't think I will.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you look at my story here of replacing our OEM tank, note that our 1988 tank never leaked. Point is that after several decades it can be nice to upsize to get a little more range and sometimes to put the tank hose connections in better places. We did all that and added a new sender for a new gauge and also some clean-out ports. Our diesel-powered boat had an aluminum tank and we specified that for the new tank as well.
Usually when a tank is removed that's the best time to replace ancient hoses.
There are a lot of articles on the site about fuel tank replacements, like this one: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/e-29-fuel-tank-replacement-repair-inspection-ports.13913/

Cutbait61

Member II
If you look at my story here of replacing our OEM tank, note that our 1988 tank never leaked. Point is that after several decades it can be nice to upsize to get a little more range and sometimes to put the tank hose connections in better places. We did all that and added a new sender for a new gauge and also some clean-out ports. Our diesel-powered boat had an aluminum tank and we specified that for the new tank as well.
Usually when a tank is removed that's the best time to replace ancient hoses.
There are a lot of articles on the site about fuel tank replacements, like this one: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/e-29-fuel-tank-replacement-repair-inspection-ports.13913/
An overhaul from tank to end use will definitely be the aim...one part of the story I failed to mention was when I looked at the boat the first time the engine was ran off of a portable tank on deck...the PO said the engine was starved for fuel after he "repaired "it...the A4 fired right up and ran fine once it got some fuel...last weekend I checked the tank vent on the transom and it was clogged with cobwebs and dirt dauber nests...It will all work out..
She won't leave the dock until I'm satisfied she's safe to operate..
Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions..