E 35 - 3 Listing to Starboard???

derekl

Does anyone have information on how to correct listing on E 35-3
Seems to list to starboard even when water tank is empty.

WindSong
E-35-3 #147
Rhode Island

fool

Member III
Hello DerekL

I have the same issue. My best guess is there's more substantial cabinetry on the Starboard side of the vessel. It used to bug the daylight out of me, but overtime I've brought on board and stowed enough stuff to more or less balance the vessel, at least when both Port and Starboard water tanks are full. You might consider some "sacrificial" weight if it bugs you too...like the 70 lbs of chain stowed in a milk crate in the vacant space under the removable quarter berth cushion (helps balance fore to aft when the forward water tank is full too).

With trial and error you'll sort out stowage to stand up straight. Like where the outboard ends up mounted on the rail, or if the stern anchor is better off the the aft lazarette or next to the outboard mounted on the rail. The alternative is to redesign the cabin layout via sawzall, and frankly our time is better spent sailing. Unbalanced you might notice a half a knot difference on each tack, or you could chalk that up to current and speed overground and keep your eyes on the horizon instead of the knot meter.

Someday that chain will end up on the end of a rode with an anchor attached and I'll have to start all over from the beginning. Starting with where Sweet Sassy M'Lassy sits in the cockpit. In the meantime, "Isn't that whale spout over there? Never mind, just a pelican splashing into the deep."

Max

mfield

Member III
I did a quick review of the weight balance and I think the 40lb dingy and tools in the nav desk help. I do not have a problem listing to one side. It is interesting to note that the starboard water tank is 6 gallons bigger than the port.

Attachments

• ericsontop2.jpg
    ericsontop2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
It's the 14lbs of spirits. Need an equal amount on the other side (grin)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Does anyone have information on how to correct listing on E 35-3
Seems to list to starboard even when water tank is empty.

WindSong
E-35-3 #147
Rhode Island

One procedure you might try is to actually take everything loose OFF of the boat once in a while. Everything. Pretty much No exceptions. Then empty all the water tankage.
Then measure the list.

Even better, while you have full access to all the interior hull and bilge areas, look very carefully for any weight of any kind stashed there. I recall that in the 70's, EY used to splash all of their boats before shipping (in a large outdoor pool) and add some lead pigs to balance the floatation of the hull for the first owner.
I have no idea if/when that final bit of QC ceased or if it did.
I know that our boat does not have any "trim ballast" in it.

Loren

e38 owner

Member III
Where is the fuel tank in the 35. In the 38 it is rear quarter berth. Everything else is on the starboard side. Water. Icebox etc etc

mfield

Member III
Where is the fuel tank in the 35.

Very good point. Another 270 lb on the port side. The water tanks are distributed on the 35-3. I do not have the optional 3rd tank but it would be on the port side although it is near the center line.

derekl

Listing to Starboard

thank you all for the replies and thoughts. I have made an effort to load up the port side with provisions, gear, Beer , etc...
I think the boat has a slight natural list due to Water tank and bulk of cabinetry, galley, etc on the starboard side.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Ericson 35-3
1983 #147
Windsong
Rhode island

Attachments

• IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 132