E-38 in Houston

CBL

I have had my eye on an E-38-200 that is listed for sale in Houston, via Yachtworld. I am going to call the broker about this vessel. Anyone have any local knowledge of this one?

I am new to this group. It is very impressive.

My wife and I are summer sailors on Lake Superior and I crew on occasional blue water deliveries via OPO.

Now looking to purchase an E-38. The Houston yacht is definitely on the low end of the price range...if it seems too good to be true..???

Many thanks,
CBL

hodo

Member III
I dont' know for sure, but I don't believe that is a Universal 5432 engine. Good luck in your search.
Harold

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
CBL -

Welcome to the group - good luck with your search. You should compare the E38 in Houston with others in other markets (for cost, features, and location). Yachtworld and other sites are very useful for this - as it allows you to easily compare apples-to-apples across various markets and conditions.

For instance, those in the PNW tend to go for a bit more because of our rain (fresh water rinse) pushes out the life of the rigging longer, and keeps the sun from chewing the decks up too soon. Of course, water being what it is, that also means we see a good deal of mold and moisture issues...

Try and find out where the boat has been - if it's been in the sun belt a long time, keep an eye on the decks and rigging... Also, do a search on 'E38 problem' or E38 and whatever other parameter you're looking at - you'll find lots of threads here (I think there's an E38 review in the downloads section as well).

Once you see the boat - take some pictures and post them here for comment also...

Good luck!

//sse

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Check with Shaun up in WA (his name here is Wurzner)... I think he's got an '86 just like that- and I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions...

AFA price differences- it's also over 20 years old now, which impacts the price some. If it's close to you, the cost of trucking one from somewhere else might offset the cost of repairing anything that is keeping its price lower than others (new rig or sails or an engine fix or something).

Chris

CBL

RE: 38 Search --but maybe a 34?

Seand and Chris,

Thanks for the advice. Much needed and appreciated. Whatever Ericson we decide on, it will be docked in FL and will spend time in the Bahamas.

No 38-200's close by for sale in FL right now...but I have no problem finding the right boat on the east or gulf coasts and moving it to FL.

However, a Ericson fan wrote me a note and asked if I would consider a 34. Which I would. He says there is a very nice one for sale on the FL East Coast.

I haven't been on a 34, so I am a little out of my knowledge level here. My biggest issue is with sleeping room. I am 6'4" and my wife is 5'10".

Can anyone offer some insight as to the 34's v and quarter berth accomodatations as it pertains to a couple of tall people?

And--since this is a Bahamas boat...is there room to accomodate a small water-maker in one of the lazarettes...since a 34 seems to be a little short on H2O tankage.

Thanks,

CBL

wurzner

Member III
CBL,

The boat could be a sistership of mine...they are almost identical. OK, I like this year model as the engine is under the sink so you have reasonable access to both sides and the front alternator area, as well as the heat exchanger (that is why the sink area comes out at a 45 degree to house the engine). The down side is there is likely a little more noise since the engine is in the middle of the boat, but I don't think it makes that big a difference either way since the aft cabin is right next to the rear mounted engines. I like the fact that you are really secure in there if the boat is bouncing around at all and it looks cool...newer boats have been adapting this look.

My boat came with an outboard motor, dinghy, 4 golf cart batteries, new uphostery, an inverter charger with remote monitoring system which yours doesn't appear to have. That being said, I paid close to 80K and that appeared to be a good deal realitive to what was out there. It has a nice dodger, new canvas, serviceable sails ( I replaced most of them), new standing rigging, and a nice external emergency tiller. I'm not sure of boat prices in Texas, but I do know car prices are the lowest in the country in Texas so this likely follows suit with boats...who knows? I have the 6'6" keel which for me would be a priority living where we do, but 4'11" would likely be a key selling point if I lived in Florida.

A really nice boat and I believe a very good value based on my research a few years ago.

Cheers
Shaun

CBL

Shaun,

This is very helpful info. I have talked to the broker. It looks pretty good.

As you suggested, the owner, more than anything wants out of the boat.

Sailboat sales have been in the tank anyway, and the latest sub-prime mess has affected credit on the recreational side too, making for fewer qualified candidates...so there are even fewer sales.

I really appreciate yours and everyone's input. I am looking forward to seeing this boat and if this one isn't it...looking at another 200.

CBL

gulfcoaster

Member III
Not So Sure!

I have sailed the Clear Lake area since 2/2000. The 38-200 you are referring to popped up months ago and to the best of my knowledge is not from this area. I did not go below, but did inspect the outside. There is no home port or name on this vessel. The only I.D. is on a sticker on one of the fixed portlights from Florida. My hunch is that this boat may have been damaged in Florida and transported by truck or via water to be sold in a market with no knowledge of the boat. There is another boat, I believe a 1982 E-38 within a mile of the one you appear interested in. The 34 has a similar layout to the 38-200. It has 2 single setees in the saloon and a 3/4 aft stateroom comparable to the 38-200. We have a 32-3 (1987), It has a huge V berth and a double bed which is a drop down in the saloon along with a port quarter berth. We've owned her for 7 1/2 years.. If I can help with any other Ericson Questions.. edvicki@sbcglobal.net. Good luck!
:egrin:

sleather

Sustaining Member
There is, BUT!

I'm posting this for "entertainment purposes only"! My E-23 had bank papers w/ the wrong hull #(go figure) but the "carpenters certificate" was correct! So their data base does recognize the hull #. They then want $'s to find out if the boat in question, "may, or may not have a problem"!:confused: I've known MY boat since it was NEW so they aren't going to get my $'s LOL

http://www.boathistoryreport.com/

It was determined on another forum www.fishtheclassic.net that there is NO substitute for a "good" survey! There is NO reliable data base that has access to records of damage and/or repairs that are "not reported" to an insurance company(major claim) or the authorities(accident report). If a boat was damaged and cosmetically repaired "by the owner" NO record would exist! Someone trying to "unload" a damaged boat would not leave a "paper trail"! SO is it worth anything? NOT in my mind!
BUT then again, I could be wrong!

So CBL, if she looks good, get a good SURVEY and Good Luck!

Last edited:

CBL

Good detective work

You guys are very good detectives. The Houston boat may in fact have sustained damage and may have been holed but "did not take on water."
Hmmmmm.

I am not going to jump away from a 38, and I am not a "tire kicker", but an E-34 is certainly a possibility...there are two in FL on yachtworld.

For anyone who has a 34...I could use some input. I am 6'3" and my wife is 5'9". Adequate berth space is very important re: extended Bahamas time. I would appreciate your insight and experience with the E-34.
Many Thanks,
CBL

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
CBL,
Salt water will leave tell tail signs after the vessel has been repaired.
If any of the wiring has been immersed there should be signs of salt and/or corrosion at connections. Check connections on the starter and behind panels, including the electrical panel. Are the cushions new? Is the starter and alternator new or been replaced? A good surveyor, knowing your concerns about salt water immersion, should be able to uncover hidden issues. If the vessel was immersed in salt water, replacing all of the wiring is a major job. Don't get me wrong, many vessels have been successfully repaired but it would be very time consuming to do. Keep a sharp eye-ball on things. :eek:

Gary Peterson:egrin:
E381 QUIXOTIC
(in fresh water!!)

sleather

Sustaining Member
Report?

You guys are very good detectives. The Houston boat may in fact have sustained damage and may have been holed but "did not take on water."[/quote]

CBL, Did "that" information show up in the "free" search on BHR or did you pay? No one I know of has gone beyond the initial "free" search. Curious!

CBL

Steve,

The info came from someone who had an interest in the boat before I did and learned from a broker that the vessel had hurricane damage. I am not interested in this boat any longer. I don't even want to get close to a boat that has been damaged in this way...because someday I will sell it...and I just don't want to mess with the hassle of explaining the history..and I don't think it is fair to ignore it's history either.

I am actually more interested in the two E-34's that are in FL...take a look at the one over in Satellite Beach, FL on Yachtworld. I have a call into the broker on this one...but I am still somewhat in the dark about accomodations for my wife and I...since I am 6'4'". I am not worried about headroom...berth space is one focus. I know this boat sails well and is easily handled by two. I am certainly looking for input from owners with E-34 experience.

Steve, by the way, we spend part of our summers a little north of you, in Bayfield, WI. We have a small cabin that has been in my wife's family for three generations. When I have a chance to get away from the work that comes with an old place, I hop in a C&C 29 for a turn around the Apostles.

Thanks again for everyone's time and advice...it is very much appreciated.
CBL

sleather

Sustaining Member
Bayfield.....

Steve, by the way, we spend part of our summers a little north of you, in Bayfield, WI. We have a small cabin that has been in my wife's family for three generations. When I have a chance to get away from the work that comes with an old place, I hop in a C&C 29 for a turn around the Apostles.

Ah Yes, Bayfield, been there "many" times for work & play. Took my old boat, Cal 21, up there 5 times. Beautiful, but very changeable sailing.

My E23 will hopefully be using Bayfield as a "splash" port for a trip to Isle Royale in '08!

Any chance that cabin's for rent?:egrin:

Good Luck in your QUEST!

windsmaker

38 e in houston

CBL,
This posting is very timely, I too was interested in the houston 3e8, and was going to give the broker a call. I have been looking for an e38 for over a year. I almost bought a 1981 38 in Florida last summer but the survey was bad. Where I'm at on Gulf Coast of LA,MS is really hurting for used boats and it's difficult to get to different areas of the country.
I saw the e34 for sale in fl and compared with a 1981 e38. but would prefer the 38.
Now I'm looking around the country. Any idea on how to estimate a realistic shipping costs?
bob

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Windsmaker

Bob,

I paid ~ $3700.00 to have my E381 shipped from Tarpon Springs, FL to Grosse Ile, MI (half way between Toledo and Detroit).
This was April 2006.
If I remember correctly, there is an icon on BoatUS's website that you can access to request shipping bids.

Gary Peterson:egrin:
E381 Quixotic

CBL

Steve,
The cabin is about 100 years old and has been in my wife's family for three generations...it's got alot of family stuff in it, so we haven't rented it. It is pretty far back in the woods, and takes quiet of bit of local knowledge to stay there...I am sorry I can't help you on that one.

You are right...very fickle winds and wx up there...when weather blows in from the west over the hills...it can be a handful if you are not careful.
CBL

CBL

Gulf Coast Boats

Windsmaker,
Agreed on boat conditions on the gulf and FL coasts. There are some great boats but there are not alot of bargains because of what has to be done to bring them back.A lot more exposure to the harsh elements compared to many boats based up north. I have alot of respect for southern boat owners who keep their vessels Bristol.

Boats in the NE and Upper Great Lakes are generally in better shape--shorter seasons and sometimes stored indoors in winter.

I am still sick over missing out on a Hallberg-Rassy 42 that was for sale a couple of years ago in Harbor Springs, MI. It was in incredible shape, owned by someone with deep pockets who was apparently trying to turn a sailboat into a trawler...had every piece of equipment imaginable on board and the best part was, it was like new and priced well below the market. This boat was used for only about 12 weeks a year. The owner just wanted out. I try not to think about missing that one because I didn't move quickly enough.
CBL