• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E26 : Installing a Pad-eye ring on the mast

vasuvius

Member II
It looks like finally after a couple months, my whisker pole will arrive shortly. I need to install a mast pad-eye ring for the whisker pole. ( I didn't want to go through the expense of installing a track and I only have 1 headsail).

1628879632008.png

Most of the fittings on the boom and mast are rivets. Should I continue in that vein and use pop rivets or is it better to tap threads and use screws ? (I notice that some of the other threads here focus on using screws). How thick is the cross section of the front of the mast ? I'm guessing I can't just use self tapping screws as that might risk the point damaging halyards inside the mast ?

Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would suggest tapping threads and using screws, and then you can make them short enough - like maybe a half inch - so that they will not impale lines.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have done spar installs with rivets.
If you are driving a 3/16 SS rivet, usually with a hand riveter, it's good to be young... and strong !
:)
IF those rivets loosen up, you may find yourself drilling out the hole and tapping it, anyway. Which is less fun.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Loren is correct. Installing those rivets is a tough job that requires strength. I've stripped out multiple cheap rivet guns in the process. Try Installing thirty 3/16 stainless rivets to attach mast steps. Sometimes you have to go with the tools you have on hand. When I attached the mast fittings for the boom and boom vang I used the drill and tap method, but only because I have to remove both in order to raise and lower my mast every spring and fall as that portion of the mast has to clear the salon hatch and move over a roller system.
I have done spar installs with rivets.
If you are driving a 3/16 SS rivet, usually with a hand riveter, it's good to be young... and strong !
:)
IF those rivets loosen up, you may find yourself drilling out the hole and tapping it, anyway. Which is less fun.

cruis-n

Member II
I'd suggest drill and tap but be sure to use anti-seize compound (something like Lanocote).
I did that on a previous boat and it worked out fine particularly if you find that you installed at the wrong height. :oops:
Speaking from experience.

vasuvius

Member II
I have a rivet tool (hand tool). I don't have a tap set but I guess I could get one. Age may be on my side but strength might not - I can get someone stronger to help me :)
I think I'll confirm how all the other fitments on the mast are attached and go with that.

Thanks everyone.

vasuvius

Member II
I checked all the fittings on the mast and the boom. Everything is riveted. The gooseneck is attached to the mast with 6 rivets. These look like 3/16. I can't tell if the rivets are SS or high strength aluminum. I wonder if it's all original from the factory. Perhaps, the mast cross section thickness on smaller boats is not enough for sufficient thread depth ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The thread depth will hold just fine. I learned this when installing track on the smaller spar section on my Ranger 20. 1/4 X 20 machine screws.

There are plusses and minuses to either attachment scheme. As for pop rivets, I have not seen any labeled as 'hi strength' at the chandlers. At the local retail level, they are a commodity item, AFAIK.

vasuvius

Member II
How much shear strength does one really need for a pad-eye (4 rivets) for a whisker pole for a 26' boat 135 headsail?
I'm just curious

Data from boltdepot.com

3/16 Stainless Steel 18-8
Tensile strength:1200lbs
Shear strength:950lbs

3/16 Aluminum
Tensile strength:320lbs
Shear strength:260lbs

3/16 Zinc Plated Steel
Tensile strength:680lbs
Shear strength:540lbs

vasuvius

Member II
I used 18-8 SS rivets 3/16 x 3/8-1/2 length. I bought a heavy duty rivet tool from Harbor Freight for this. It wasn't that hard to pull. Generous use of Tef-gel should limit alu/steel corrosion for some time.

IMG_0366.jpg