E27 Rudder

pmulligan

I have a 74 Ericson 27 with a tiller. The last time I sailed, which was in September, the bolt that connects the tiller head and the rudder shaft sheared. I was able to make it back with half a bolt holding the assembly together. I took the bolt and the tiller off when I got back to the slip. When I returned to fix it today, the only thing left is the deck plate. The shaft and rudder are gone. All is see when looking down the bushing is blue lake (really green lake where I'm from). Is it possible for it to work it's way out? I thought there would be something to prevent it from falling out? Will it sink? If so I guess I can get a diver to look. Any ideas about replacing it if I can't find it? Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

rssailor

Rudder

Nope, if the bolt on the top shears off on your boat, the rudder will go straight to the bottom. Have your diver look for it. You want to get a high strength bolt the ones with the hash marks on the end if possible. Check to see when your diver finds the rudder that the holes in the shaft are not elongated.
If your diver can't find the thing, don't despair, I think Foss Foam can make a new one. Look em up on the web or do a search on this site. Good Luck Ryan

Tom Prince

Two things about the E27 rudder...One it should not fall out when unbolted. Mine will stay in place if I unbolt it. This would lead me to believe that your rudder may be saturated with water.( especially if it has been on the bottom of the lake for this long) ....Two The rudder is registered in place by the bolt but is held in place by tightening the bolt on the front of the rudderhead. This bolt when tightened should clamp down on the rudder shaft with pressure that is distributed uniformly around the circumference. I recently had a brass shim installed on mine to make this work. The machinist was quite clear about this. If all the load is on the bolt alone it will elongate the hole, and eventually because it is stainless which is relatively soft, will also shear the bolt. Hope you find your rudder.