E27: Sailing Qualities

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Someone asked before about the sailing qualities of an E27; that they were considering purchasing one. Can anyone describe those qualities, and offer some information that might be useful to that fellow?

Thanks,

Tom De Forrest

E27 sailing qualities

As a landlubber only recently converted to sailing, my comments are restricted to the basest sort. However:

She is heavy with a rounded bottom and therefore relatively slow. Not built for light air, but perks up nicely in a fresh breeze. Wants to heel quickly, but will firm up at about 20 - 25 degrees. The roughest water I've been in with her was 6 footers - which she handled easily and I didn't.
Doesn't point too well, but I believe that's more a function of my level of ability.
Good luck.

Billk

I would like to correct Tom's reply. My Ericson 27 is kind of SLEEK for how slow she is. This is a boat you buy for comfort not speed. That said, I do pass boats I shouldn't but I have good sails and I keep my boat in good condition. If you want to go fast there are other choices, but for a 27'performance cruiser under $30K I have yet to find any boat I would rather have, and I cruise with a family of four and a dog. It isn't boring and it does not have any real vices.

Tom De Forrest

I agree with Bill that you don't purchase an E-27 to get there faster. Nonetheless, speed is more a factor for some than others.

As the original request was represented as being in the interest of a potential buyer - whose needs and desires are unknown - I see no reason not to broach the subject. Even a slow poke like myself had an interest in theoretical hull speed when I researched my boat's purchase.

In fact speed is largely subjective; Bill goes fast enough sleekly, while I go slow smoothly - we are both (apparently) satisfied with our circumstance.

The E-27 has many qualities that recommend it to cruisers. In my very limited experience, fleetness is not one of them.
I believe my amateur opinion to be supported by data, (seen the PHRF for an E-27 in your region lately?), and at least by some of the Ericson sailing community.

Considering a boat purchase is like mulling a coastal trip; better to realize your limitations at the start and
plan accordingly than act on incomplete data or wistful thinking.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope it's an Ericson.

Cfacas

E 27 Sailing Qualities

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking to purchase a good old E 27, 1973 vintage and trying to find more information. Specifically, anyone want to comment on handling in rough weather.
Also, I trying to get a drawing of the keel shape and rudder. The literature I have does not include the underbody. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks much
Regards,
CMF

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Check the Docs Section...

On this site - Specs&Documents\DocsIndex and you'll see what's available for the E27.... I know there's one in the owner's manual...

//sse

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Ericson 27 and Speed

I use my Ericson 27 pretty exclusively for racing in the Puget Sound. This is what I have found. First, it is a light air killer. In less than 15 kts of wind, with a 244 PHFR rating, we are tough to beat. Much more than that, and the sea state changes and she tends to bog down. Downwind, I use an assymetrical on an oversize pole, and have great speed. Typically we reach for VMG. Granted, I have nice sails, and have faired the bottom and sanded to a 2000 grit finish, but it is important to note how flat the bottom of the boat really is. I have been out in some pretty heavy air, particularly last years Swiftsure, and really pounded on the boat, and she has handled really well. There is nothing quite like 12kts downwind for 5 hours at night in the middle of the Straits.