e27 with A-4 Exhaust- Replacement Help Needed

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey everyone-

I've started to address the exhaust system on my raw-water cooled Atomic 4 in my 1972 E-27. It looks like its been poorly cobbled together, with a very loose attachment to the manifold (at least it came off easily!) and no support or anchors anywhere. The exhaust exits the manifold and almost immediately enters an aluminum exhaust riser, where the cooling water is injected. It then leads aft to an old plastic water lift muffler, and then up a long length of hose to the top of the port lazarette locker and out the stern. See the attached photos.

I've been wondering if the aluminum exhaust riser/elbow (Barr Mfg model 20-0101/20-0094) has been installed backwards- it appears that the cooling water enters on the wrong side of the riser. In all the exhaust diagrams I have seen, cooling water is supposed to be injected on the downstream end below the level of the exhaust manifold. Also, I'm not sure using this type of riser is even a valid installation method for a gas engine. Has anyone seen a similar setup?

Also, in thinking about how to install a new system, I have searched the threads here trying to find some photos/descriptions of other peoples successful E-27 A-4 exhaust systems and haven't found much. If anyone could send or upload photos and/or descriptions of their currently functioning systems I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Doug

Attachments

• Exhaust 1.jpg
    Exhaust 1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Exhaust 2.jpg
    Exhaust 2.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

rgoff

Member III
I don't think you have a factory installation riser. My '73 E27 has something totally different.

I'll see if I can find a photo, but here's a description. "L" section galvanized (1-1/2" I think) water pipe runs from engine to riser in forward part of port lazerette. Riser is about 2 ft tall and made up of a small diameter pipe inside a slightly longer larger diameter one. Exhaust enters at bottom. Water enters at bottom, but a different fitting. Outlet, with exhaust and water mixed, is at rear top. Inside the riser the small pipe is carrying exhaust to the top, while water surrounds it for cooling.

You used to be able to buy these from Pacific Seacraft, but no more. At one time I had a drawing. I'll see if I can find it. You should be able to get a welding shop to make you one.

HGSail

Member III
yes I have the same as Ralph on my 29'. I think I bought the last one that Pacific Seacraft had in stock (or maybe it was the last one they were willing to sell. Anyway i'm fairly sure it was is what was stock from the factory. If Ralph can't find a pic I'll see if I can find mine.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

HGSail

Member III
Yes that's what I have on my 29 and you will have to fabricate it. It's a good system and when mine rots out in 10-15yrs I am going to have one fab'd out of bronze instead of black iron. (whice is what I believe the one I have is made of)

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for all the details, guys! This is good stuff. Looks pretty simple and durable. I guess that's what the PO was trying to replicate with the plastic muffler.

Doug

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
The set up you have is installed correctly and if it is not causing problems I would use it instead of the tall stand pipe style in the Ericson document. The drawback to the system you have is that if the cooling water inlet seacock is open and the engine doesn't start quickly the muffler can flood and back water into the exhaust ports of the engine (this means if the engine doesn't start quickly close the seacock and start the engine and then re-open it after the engine is running.) I have a wrapped hot pipe, water enters just before the rubber tubing and it can be a heat problem.

My .02 on the subject.

Emerald

It doesn't have to be the same as original to be a perfectly fine system. The key is having proper height relative to waterline, central mounting (if possible) and a few other things. Here are a couple links showing diagrams of wet exhaust systems:

From Centek makers of the Vernalift:

http://www.centekindustries.com/install_diagrams.html

and then check the last page of this .pdf format manual from Vetus:

http://www.vetusweb.com/manuals/files/Exhaust_systems/030412 r02 03-03.pdf

Make sure your mixing elbow is not getting clogged, your hose and water lift are in good shape, and you have it looped above the water line and/or siphon break installed between the manifold and injection elbow, and you should be good to go.

To give you an idea of how creative you can get, here's a link to my home grown exhaust on my prior E27:

http://home.comcast.net/~ericson-yachts/A4/exhaust.html

This is an old stainless Vetus waterlift muffler I found as a NOS item at a consignment type shop. The water injection and other plumbing was all put together from standard galvanized hardware. In addition to the sanity check of it just plain working, when I sold her, it all got a nod as OK from the buyer's surveyor. :egrin:

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the advice everyone- At this point I am leaning towards keeping the current system but installing a siphon break on the exhaust water line. I'll also try not to crank too long with the through hull open.:nonono:
Doug