E28 auto helm

rpm

Member II
Looking to install an auto helm on my E28. The Raymarine EV100 seems to be the standard. Are there even any competitors? Anyone have a recommendation ?

Phil Rushing

Member II
Installing auto helm today

rpm, I also have an E28 and just received my Raymarine ev 100. I bought it because it had great reviews and it was reasonably priced. My application will be weekly sailing off San Diego with the occasional trip to Catalina Island or harbor hopping northwad. This ev 100 should be more than adequate for my purposes. I hope to begin installation today. I am having it installed because I don't know anything about marine electrical. I could probably figure it out, but I want it done correctly. My question to you: where are you planning on installing the controller? My E28 is an '84 with the old Combi depth/speed instruments enclosed in a metal casing atop the pededstal. These Combi instruments no longer function, so they will be replaced. My plan is to adapt the old Combi instrument casing to hold the controller for the autopilot, then mount my new B&G chartplotter on top of the old Combi housing. What are your thoughts on this?

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Autohelm

Hi RPM
We have a 20+ year old Autohelm and it works fine under power but we gave up using it for sail. Seemed like the E28+ helm was just too active for sail use. The control unit is mounted on the bulkhead. The control ring lasted until 5 years ago then the sun cracked the unit and we were able to replace it. We are happy with the Autohelm as we prefer to sail than have the autohelm sail.
When we are a few miles offshore without wind the Autohelm allows us to read and adjust helm occasionally for lobster pots. Good luck. Anxious to hear how you like your installations.
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Chips Universal 5411

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I have an antique Autohelm ST4000. It makes sailing a million (give or take) times better. You're gonna love it! Biggest lesson? Complacency. It doesn't care if it tacks us into a 900' stack aft.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Where to mount the AP

Every install will have to meet a slightly different set of priorities.
Some like the control head mounted on the guard, but with many of us that's already an instrument-rich location. Some want it up forward on the bulkhead, and where they sail it's convenient to sit in the companionway to remotely 'steer' their boat.

Our sailing/boating area has a Lot of stuff to dodge, from floating logs to tugs to ships to errant motor boats, to misc. anchored fishing boats to pile-dams.... so I placed ours on the port side combing where it's handiest to the wheel. Unless we out in the ocean where we can keep watch from the front of the cockpit, we have to always be ready to take over the helm and dodge 'stuff and things'. :rolleyes:

There are several past threads here, including one with a homemade instrument console for the guard, and you can see ours pictured in this blog. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/blog.php?28-quot-Fresh-Air-quot/page4
The AP is beside the shore power inlet, on the left side of the frame.

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My current binnacle instrument box is shown at minute 2:20 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWxpc_AJL-k

My former setup is in part 1 of this 3-part blog entry:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...PX-5-Wheel-Pilot-with-P70-Control-Head-Part-1

I now have the Evo 100 system with the P70 control head again.

The Evo calibrates easier than the SPX-5, but they are otherwise pretty much the same.

As the blog illustrates, installation is basically easy but can be frustrating in practice.

I think these autopilots are a miracle for the price and would not be without one.

They don't work when the wind blows hard and the sea makes up--but that is 10 percent of sailing.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/attachment.php?attachmentid=20880&stc=1

Photo: cardboard mockup and realized acrylic version made by a local plastics shop for $200.

Attachments

• Instrument console A.jpg
    Instrument console A.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Is mounting location optional?

I should think the AP control unit should always be right at the helm, so it can be rapidly disengaged (or engaged) as needed.
A wireless remote accessory is a nice little lifesaver that lets you make course adjustments from anywhere on the boat. I suppose the newer units let you use your phone for that, if you carry your phone on the boat. I didn't get the Raymarine remote, but got a cheaper, smaller unit from Madman Electronics (Some guy in a garage in Australia?). The Madman remote is just a tiny key fob that can go in the pocket of any shorts or clip onto a neck lanyard, or pretty much anything the watchkeeper may be wearing.

rpm

Member II
Auto helm E28+ 1984

Phil Rushing. Looks like the consensus I go with the EV100 package. My intent is to put the controlle on the top of the wheel helm because that is where it gets used. Undecided where to mount the direction finder becaus the vinyl siding is in the way but likely it will go under the fore peak. They purportedly work from below.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That looks like a slightly newer model than the one I have. The switch mentioned in the description should solve the problem noted in my blog post.

I've used it to steer the boat from the bow, and from the chart table. Havn't yet had the occasion to try it from the spreaders.

One of the remotes wore out, after a year or two, and the guy sent me a new one, from Australia, at no charge and on his stamp!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Allow me to add that the most important performance aspect of these wheel/tiller pilots--or any autopilot--is sail trim.

To make an autopilot work, especially when approaching its max wind capability, get rid of weather helm.

It may be necessary to alter course to reduce the pressures required for correction. Reef, change the sail plan, do whatever is required to balance the helm.

This is belabored --beaten to death, you might even say --in my video about vane steering, where the same needs apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gEJ3RJYiYc

Last edited:

Phil Rushing

Member II
Great Video

Allow me to add that the most important performance aspect of these wheel/tiller pilots--or any autopilot--is sail trim.

To make an autopilot work, especially when approaching its max wind capability, get rid of weather helm.

It may be necessary to alter course to reduce the pressures required for correction. Reef, change the sail plan, do whatever is required to balance the helm.

This is belabored --beaten to death, you might even say --in my video about vane steering, where the same needs apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gEJ3RJYiYc
Please excuse my stray from the subject matter, but I must say Christian's videos are well done, informative and even entertaining. Watch them if you haven't already - you might learn something! Thanks Christian!

eknebel

Member III
When I installed the ev 100 with a7 mfd chart plotter, I mounted the control for the autopilot below at the nav station. The mfd allows control of most of the autopilot functions, other than setup. This keeps the binnacle uncluttered, and the optional remote makes using the tack feature easy to use, a real help when short handed. The raymarine phone apps do most functions except remote control. I also added a $10 sports watch that has a automatically repeating countdown timer. This reminds me to look where I am going, not that I would ever get distracted with the autopilot engaged.
The seatalk n2000 system is really easy to configure, even with ais from another manufacturer. Cables are expensive for what they are, but with the kids out of college, who cares!

mfield

Member III
Our boat came with a non-functioning ST4000 wheel pilot system. Last month we took the plunge and replaces it with an EV-100. I think I read somewhere that it would take "a couple" of hours to install. It took me 12 hours, mostly folded up in a lazaret to run the wires. I put the actuator control unit (ACU) in the quarter-berth near to the breaker panel, the control head at the rear of the starboard combing (the old unit was there) and the sensor unit over port side just forward of the nav station. I was a little concerned about the sensor being so close to the radio but it seems to work fine. It was a tight squeeze but the only extra cable I needed was for the ACU to wheel pilot, the cable in the box was only 15 feet and running all the way around the corners of the boat mean I needed about 25 feet.

When I first looked at the control head I thought "great it will fit where the old ST4000 went" in the combing but when I got to install it needed a half inch larger round hole.

We are pretty pleased with the performance and it great to be able to sail single handed (main halyard it at the mast). I do wonder how long the rubber band in the wheel pilot will last, looking through all the popular YouTube series of sailing videos there is always an episode titled "The Day Autopilot failed".

rpm

Member II
E20 auto helm

Well, based on the experience with short cables I think I will install everything under the cockpit lazeretts with the controller on the helm. I just hope the diesel does not cause interference. The VHF is not a concern in my case.
The wiring diagram doesn't help me much to understand the two power connections but it will get done somehow.