E28+ listing to starboard

Gary G

Member II
How level should my E28+ sit normally? With no one on board it settles with about a 2 degree list to starboard. The water tank (25 gal and full) and waste tank (currently empty) are on the starboard side with the fuel tank on the port side. There's not much gear on the boat and no heavy add on equipment like a refrigerator or generator. (Could mast alignment have anything to do with this?) Any ideas or, better yet, experiences?

bsange

E-28+ Listing To Starboard

Gary,

I'm not sure about mast alignment, there are more than likely others out there who are better qualified. We had a similiar situation with out 28+, but the circumstances are slightly different. In addition to the water tank and the waste tank, we have an extra water tank forward (18 gallons) and the fuel tank is on the starboard side. The marina manager suggested that we not fill the forward tank and only put about half in the main water tank, unless we were heading out for a spell. That took care of most of the list. She still lists very slightly, so we're inclined to believe that all the tanks on the starboard side play a role.

Bernard S.

timoteo

Member II
hey gary,
have a E 29 with same thing, i think its obvious because : fuel tank , stove , gearlocker , fridge ect,ect...... is all at the portside,
i put all my sails and other on starboardside so it helps a lil,i think its more anoying than anything to worry about
tim

gmilnes

E29 Listing to Port

My E29 lists slightly to port when the stern water tank is empty. The tank is located under the starboard quarter berth. A full bow tank may contribute to the list, even though it is located on the centerline.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Tiltin' 28's

I remember we used to drop (gently, of course!) every boat in the factory pool as soon as it came off the production line to check for leaks and make sure they wre floating on their lines.

I also recall that all the 28's listed somewhat. As has been mentioned, this is due to the way the tankage and other items are located in the interior.

The way to offset it (if it bugs you) is with weight to counter it. Of course, try and be responsible with this, and make the pounds count (make them "useful" pounds). Use only enough to bring her level.

Or, you can ignore it-the boat is OK as is-don't feel like the Lone Ranger!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On keeping the windmill upright....

If you do a search here in the archives, there are past threads about listing in various models. I figure that in light displacement boats like most of the Ericsons and Olsons... and the vast majority of production boats out there, there is going to be some listing due to imbalanced interior furniture (like the port list on the Olson 34) or tankage on a host of others makes and models.

Just tonight, I was talking to the proud owner of a shiny well-kept O'Day 28 in our YC and he asked me about the port list of his and other sisterships he had looked at! (True Story!)
Turned out that his has an optional water tank on the guilty side and he keeps it filled most of the time. Like most of us, he is not too bothered by this, but would just prefer it to look perfectly upright when he admires it before walking away. :rolleyes:

We solved our list, BTW, when I upgraded the starboard water tank under the settee -- from 22 to 38 gallons. When full the boat is level....
:)
I do like the idea "useful pounds"...... be sure you put your scads of spare parts in the right place! And... the liquor and the beer....

Best,
Loren
:egrin:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
My E35-3 listed to starboard - about 2 degrees. I heard this was typical of that model - plus a couple of others. Do a search as suggested - you'll find a number of threads on it.

//sse

escapade

Inactive Member
to list or not to list

I had a '80 30+ (which is the same basic hull form) which also had the starboard list. Since the starboard water tank had an unrepairable leak anyway, I cut openings in the top & turned it into dry storage. Put a bladder tank under the V-berth for fresh water & stored heavy items (tools, spares, beer, etc.) on the port side to compensate. Kept light weight items on starboard side. This balanced the boat out very nicely. BTW, my present '88 E34 sits nicely on her lines. I have read other E34 owners comment on a port list on these boats, but mine w/wing keel sits square. Sometimes it's good just to be lucky!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"