E29 Choke Cable length

IslandTime29

Member II
Needing to know what length choke cable do I need for my 1976 E29? I have the Atomic 4. I can't get to my boat, as you have to have a boat to get there! Our marina is flooded badly here in Nashville, but I wanted to get this cable on the way while I can't use the boat. I'm thinking of ordering the 7ft one from Moyer Marine.

Justin

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Check the engine end of the cable. There is a code printed on the side of the red cable which includes the length in inches, IIRC.

IslandTime29

Member II
That is a good idea. Thank you for the advice. I still would like someone with an E29 to pipe in here, as I cannot get to my boat and do not know when the waters will drop enough to get to it. I wanted to get this project going on the parts end while I cannot get to the boat.

Emerald

Thinking back to my A4 in my prior E-27, and I think 7 feet is going to be a really tight run on length. You won't have any spare cable to make any nice arcs etc. Try to visualize how far down and then forward the cable needs to run, and I think you'll use up 7 feet before you get there, or darn close unless you just pull it in a straight line. I know the Moyer cables (at least there long one) talk about stainless inner wire, which is nice on a boat, but you could certainly get by with a standard cable. So, just doing a google search for a "15' choke cable" yielded this right off the top - no experience with the vendor, but the price is right and I think it would be long enough:

http://www.rustrepair.com/part_numbers.htm?r=fr&pt=17415

Also, if you google "stainless choke cables", at first glance, it looks like you will find them out there for less than the $70 Moyer wants for his 20 footer. Not to put him down, but I was taken a bit back by the price.

CamD

Member II
Is it a tiller or a wheel? My tiller version has the panel up near the companionway on the port side. If I'm not mistaken the wheel version had the panel back by the binnacle. At any rate, if it is up near the companionway a 72" cable will work. I just replaced mine last Saturday.

IslandTime29

Member II
Thank you all for the advice. Cable on the way. I have the tiller version, so my choke cable is up near the companion way. Thank you all again.

Justin

PatrickMcHugh

The choke cable on mine is WAY longer than 7ft, somewhere in the realm of 12 ft. I have been looking for something to put in it's place but have found nothing and I still resort to pulling the engine cover off and manually actuating the choke. Let us know what you find that works.