e29 liner cracked

dfresh808

has anyone seen cracking ( 2 actually) in the hull liner on the stbd side of the main bulkhead where it meets the overhead. approx 10" outboard of the compression post and again 16" from that . liner is cracked on the fore and aft sides of the bulkhead. no noticeable sagging on deck at the step. wood under compression post is also fine. no noticeable movement of deck or any of the mast step componets. Does the liner even carry a load there? what are your thoughts on this. im having a pre purchase survey on sat. original owner from 1976 says it came from factory like this. boat is otherwise in excellent condition. thanks for your reply.:confused:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
My 78 E-29 has a crack in that area, the crack is a fine line not a gaping crack. I also have a little compression of the liner at the compression post, I suspect the compression is due to soft wood at the mast step though I haven't found any soft spots on deck. The mast is down for a trip to my backyard to do winter projects and that will be checked.

If the cracks are not large I would not suspect a major problem. Can you post pictures?
The 29 is an excellent boat and a joy to sail with or without crew.

Hopefully Seth or others will chime in on this one.

dfresh808

Craked liner

thanks for your reply, surveyed the boat today, surveyer didnt think too much of the cracks. the deck, compression post an blocking under appear fine. we did however find moisture in the deck core almost everywhere there is hardware or deck fittings (using a moisture meter) hammer taps show only one spot with delamination about 3' long and 6" wide along the toe rail around the chain plates of course. the chain plates also worry me, slightly corroded and rusty, slight pitting. i am concerned about crevice corrosion of stainless insde core. also needs new standing/running rigging. havent done the out of the water survey yet, will keep you posted. will try to post pics of the crack this weekend. sweet yanmar repower is mighty tempting.;)

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
If you are tempted by the Yenmar you will love the way the boat sails. There is a good article on e29 shroud chainplate upgrade on this site. The boat was being upgreded for light offshore if I remember correctly.
A friend once asked if I could have any boat what I would want. He was surprised when I told him I would take my E29. Reason single hands easily, room for two or more for a few days, more days if needed and solid enough to island hop which I hope to do when I retire. Send personal e-mail with contact number if you would like to discuss the 29.

Is it a wheel boat, tall (10 foot boom) or standard rig (12 foot boom)?

dfresh808

its a 1976, wheel steering, dont know about the tall/short rig, but i know the p.o did a fair amount of racing. looking foreward to sea trials and haulout this sat. will try to post pics.

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Love the e29

All,

I also love the E29. One of the funnest boats I have ever sailed. To own one is a true adventure. I have learned so much. Solid sail in brisk winds and a great all around performer. Just wish I had a spinaker and a single hand rig.

Good Luck with the surveys,hallout, and sea trial.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
What is a single hand rig?????

My halyards are at the mast and I singlehand in whitecaps on lake Weiss with the 150. Have had to lace the halyards through the horns on the mast, get the sails up enough to have halyard to the cockpit and steer and hoist sail at the same time, and I loved every minute. I think the boat is fun in heavy air and a joy to night sail in light air where you just ghost along and still have steering. Did I mention I love the boat!!!!

I said that to show that the boat is great at 5- 10 knots of wind and I love it approaching 30 knots with the 110 and full main. A handfull and a joy. the boat is better than most sailors and will make up for our sins.

If the boat is solid you will love it. There is a 29 for sale on this site on the west coast.