E29 Phrf

kregan

Hello, I am new here. Thanks for letting me in, this is one of the most comprehensive owners groups I've seen. I am considering purchasing Mike T's boat, "Zephyr" for racing/some cruising in Long Island, Great South Bay. I hope to race it several days a week and also use with the family (2 1/2 year old twins). I know that this is a great family boat, but I would also like to get some performance out of her. Being a long time racer (J22 now, not so family friendly) I just don't want to get into a boat that doesn't sail to it's rating or isn't competitve in the fleet. We typically have 15-20 boats out there a few days a week and sail 50+ races a year and our fleet ranges from Melges 24 (99)to C&C 25's (210)- I sail in the same fleet as Ericsean, who now has an E38. Would really appreciate if anyone with an E29 can comment on boats they typically race against, how they fair, etc. We typically get 10-12 kts here, short chop, it can blow 20+ easy but also 0-5 like last night...

Thanks very much.
Kevin

Seth

Sustaining Partner
well

Historically the 29 with the std rig has been competitive in PHRF mainly when it is breezy (12-15+), but the TR is a better all around boat. The 27 std has been a better all-arounder than the 29-but this is not defintive, just historical. Good gear, sails and bottom can make a big difference, and depending on who you sail against the 29 may be just fine.

It is a great sailing boat no matter what, so this should not be a reason not to race-just something to base expectations on.

Good luck,
S

kregan

Thanks Seth, I appreciate your comments. I am thinking that our PHRF guys would put the E29 in the low 200's (Mike T thinks his was 212), which I could live with and could compete with the C&C's 25 (we have 12 here) which carry 210. Currently I drive a C&C 29, we rate 187 and typically finish top half or better in the fleet and the C&C 29 is a tank and doesn't sail well over 12-13kts. I am gathering the E29 points well and with a racing setup, bottom, 155 and decent main (properly trimmed) we could do OK, I have to geuss the boat could sail 5ish uphill and 6ish downhill in 10-12kts?

1973E29 TUG

Member I
Racing E29 PHRF in Tampa Bay

Hello and sorry for the very late post. I don't get around to checking in here as often as I would like.

I have a 1973 E29 Standard Rig. I did some re-outfitting of the rig to allow me to fly a spinnaker. I have only owned the boat for a couple of years and have just begun racing it. I am still using the old sails that came with the boat which are in decent shape (a Main and a 120%). I picked up an used J-29 Spinnaker and put my sail numbers on it. It's a decent fit (acually could be a bit larger). Of course I would love to have a new main and a suite of headsails to choose from. But for now we're having fun with what we've got and doing a respectable job on the course.

The ratings given by West Florida PHRF are as follows:
Spinnaker Buoy: 210
Spinnaker RLC: 207
Non Spinnaker Buoy: 237
Non-Spinnaker RLC: 234

I am rated with a 155% Genoa, a 2 blade prop, and a Spinnaker Pole that's 6" too long

The ratings will vary slightly from place to place depending on how much they have monkeyed around with them; but thats a place to start.

Good luck and let us know how you fair.

T

Henry Rawlings

Racing a E27 & E29 PHRF

I have owned a 27 for 9 yrs. At this time I have a E29 which I felt would be faster than the E27. My old boat raced better in all conditions than the E29. I have won the Lime Cup Race in class and over all with the E27. That race is out of Miami Florida. I'm still learning the E29. I hope that in time I can get her too do better. My P:egrin:hrf is 198 in South Florida. The E27 Phrf was 225 and I could out sail a J 30 in LIGHT WINDS under 7 knots. Both boats could be good if you set them up right. I'm still working on the E29 at this time.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
29 vs 27

The standard rig 29 was not as good a performer as the std rig 27..especially in light-med air.

The 27 and 27 Tall rig were (are) a very succesful PHRF boats all over the country-the 29 not so much.
The 29T was much better, but even so, a good bottom and good sails (and you need a full sized genoa) will make it decent enough in the average PHRF fleet, but I'm afraid it will not be as nimble as the 27..:esad:

Just looking through the rest of this thread...be sure and mark the prop in the vertical position when sailing (we have talked about this in several threads here), get as much weight off the boat as you can, keep weight out of the ends while sailing, and stack the rail with bodies if there is more than 10 knots or so of breeze-all the basics-but they make a big difference.

Cheers

Last edited: