e29 water tank repair

simdim

Member II
Folks,
I was filling in our fresh water tank and started commenting to my wife that somehow it can take a lot of water this year ... and then the bilge pump kicked in...
It looks like there is a crack close to the top of the tank and wonder would it be wise to try to epoxy the crack (not sure if it will stick to the polyvinyl of the tank) or to get a new RONCO tank and be done with it? How hard is it to get the tank out and put it back in?

Cheers,

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Folks,
I was filling in our fresh water tank and started commenting to my wife that somehow it can take a lot of water this year ... and then the bilge pump kicked in...
It looks like there is a crack close to the top of the tank and wonder would it be wise to try to epoxy the crack (not sure if it will stick to the polyvinyl of the tank) or to get a new RONCO tank and be done with it? How hard is it to get the tank out and put it back in?

Epoxy (and all other "glues" that I can think of) will not stick durably to the plastic tank material.
If you can get the old tank out, and if your tank is otherwise useable, try to find someone who does 'hot air plastics welding' in your community. This is a rare and finicky skill. I know of one such person in my city, who works out of his home. It is difficult to get a lasting repair even this way, but when you do it right it's as good as the rest of the tank.

OR, just find the replacement tank # at the Ronco site and have them roto-mold you a new tank. If starting over, you can also have them spinn-weld in your fittings exactly where you want them, if any subtle changes are needed.

Best,
Loren

Gmilburn

Member III
E29 Fresh Water Tank

Hi Simon,

I had a similar issue with my 1977 E29 a couple of years ago--and after contacting the manufacturer and providing them with the exact model number--they did not still have the molds. Thus to make one would have been a custom job and many hundreds of dollars.

Thus I tried to patch the split (about 2 inches long near the fill plug as a DIY project. First I used drywall meshing (available at Home Depot) that appears to be nylon meshing with adhesive on one side. I criss-crossed the tape over the split to reinforce the area. Then I applied liberal amounts of 3M 5200 adhesive. Then before it set up, I criss-crossed another layer of the nylon mesh. I am please to say that it has held fine for the last two years--even with the pump pressurizing the entire tank. I think the magic is the mesh with the flexibility of the 3M 5200 adhesive. You might give it a try--as you don't have much to loose. Good Luck.

simdim

Member II
Sounds like a plan

Gary,
This sounds like a plan since I can not get any answer from Ronco Plastics to the matter. Besides it will give me LEGITIMATE reason to use 5200 :)

Cheers,

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I repaired a hairline crack in the upper corner of my holding tank with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. I don't remember where I found it, but there is a technique for doing this that requires using a propane torch to heat the area on the tank to be patched in order for the epoxy to bond. It has to be done with a flame, not a heat gun, for some reason. I check it occasionally for leaking and it seems to be holding up after three years. Granted it is in the upper third of the tank and I try to keep the tank empty as much as possible and pump out as soon as possible whenever the tank is used. I don't think I really want to let it fill up for the ultimate test...

A quick Google search turned up this and several polyethylene tank repair products:

http://www.diy-boat.com/content/view/225/49/

This method says you can use a heat gun...

Last edited:

Bill Sanborn

Member III
E29 Water Tank

I have always wanted to increase my water capacity. Many years ago there was a post on the sailnet list from someone who replaced their
Ronco tank with a flexible water tank having a 40 gal capacity. Might be an option, you wouldn't have to keep it full unless cruising.