• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32 200 1990 - Rail width for mid rail cleat

frosero7744

Member II
Lame question here guys.

I've not been able to find the answer otherwise though. Id like to add a mid rail cleat on my E32-200. Didn't get a measurement last time at the boat, and would like to take some with me to the boat next time I'm there. Looks like there are 1"1/8 and 1"1/4 options. Can anyone confirm the width? I've found a Shafer brand one that seems like it would work well. If anyone has any suggestions otherwise please send them.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
C. Sherman Johnson makes a nice folding ss cleat that rides on a genoa track. I have their alternate version that mounts on our alum. toe rail.
Good quality stuff.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
My E-33 is 1 1/4". I use a Schaeffer but it binds on some of the screw heads which are "proud" of flush. It is very handy to have, though.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
E38-200 is also 1 1/4". I have the Schaeffer as well. They're not super easy to reposition but once I found the sweet spot for using an aft spring line to pin the boat to the dock I haven't moved them since.
Lame question here guys.
Very much not a lame question. My boat is an hour and a half drive away so I can't just put a ruler to things when I need measurements and I haven't planned ahead. Someone else will want to know the same thing someday.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
mine, 34-2, is 1 1/4"
Common size track for boats (same for our Olson) in that general size range. One of the few "industry standards" in this world that really IS a standard. :)
(Our 1980 20 footer had 1" tracks)

frosero7744

Member II
I have various ideas for this cleat. Mid ship for a springer line. Adding a block to the cleat and use for a preventer. Moving it all the way aft to help with cleating off my reefed headsail which has just a cam cleat currently. Also, was thinking they would work well for a jackline. i normally take the line all the way to the aft mooring cleats but moving the line forward and off to the side a bit would be nice.

im thinking the loads from the preventer and/or jacklines could be more than can be handled with a sliding cleat. Any words of wisdom here?

Margrieta

Hull 213 34-2
Tried this Rail cleat from Defender.com but the 1 1/8" size for the rail was too small. The only other size is 1 /4 (Pictured). Will update when this comes in.

Attachments

• midship cleat.png
    midship cleat.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 5

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use sliding cleats for spring lines. They aren't as robust as a real cleat, as held in place only by the spring pin.

Extra standard jib sheet slides are also handy. With no block attached they neatly hold a boarding step or temporary side-ladder.

frosero7744

Member II
Gauhauer has a reasonably priced cleat for a 1 1/4" track.
I bought mine from Gauhauer and was cheaper than others i saw online. Shaefer was the only other manufacture i could find. definelty an 1.25" cleat. As Christian mentioned good for springer lines and not a main line. I use mine to cleat off the jib furling line if its reefed also. There's a cam cleat there also but by itself makes me nervous in the Bay winds. I cam cleat it then cleat it cleat it. Just in case. Nothing has ripped off yet.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, the pix in this blog show our Sherman Johnson "midship" cleat on the starb. rail They used to sell a version with a flat base for deck mounting and also a T track version, but their site does not mention those now. A phone call would be in order to see if they still have the other versions on hand.
It is Very Handy to have and is in use constantly.

Last edited: