E32-3: Brightwork, Remove the Handrails?

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I recently took a heat-gun to all my on-deck screwed-down teak. I decided to bail on re-varnishing and decided to refinish just with Star-Brite Teak Sealer:
After the heat-gun/paint-scraper routine, I used a mid-grade Star brite pad to smooth the surfaces a bit:
and then used teak cleaner (recommended as prep before the sealer):

My taffrail was quite worn down compared to the relative high-points at each hardware attachment point - apparently from sanding and varnishing over the many past years by POs. I'd guess that it's now about 2/3 of it's original thickness(?). Yeah, a new piece of teak back there would look really nice but something about porcine facial decoration springs to mind. Plus, removing all the push-pit and stern cleat hardware, and getting it all back on again later, dropped that project so far down the to-do list that not even the next owner will find it.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
After some success on the grab rails (post #17 above) I'm taking on the teak stern trim too. Precious finish was Cetol, which is taking a good sanding to remove.

There is some heavier staining around some of the fittings. Would this be a good candidate for Te-Ka (or other cleaner) or should I just keep sanding?

Seems like the long-term fix is to rebed the fittings and make sure water can't get under the Cetol in the future.

View attachment 40213
That staining isn't too bad. It should respond to bleaching. You might try a couple of applications of oxalic acid, and yes you should pull the hardware.

Martin