E32s - Layout

RKCRWLR

Member II
I am considering moving up in size from my E26-MkIV. Love the boat, so I am sticking with Ericson. I am mostly interested in 32s and 35s, but given I max out at 32 feet for my slip, an E32 is likely the choice. I am confused though by the models/layouts. Some seem to have an aft head, while others are traditionally laid out with head amidship. Educate me please! I like the looks of the aft head layout, also want to stay with the 150/156 phrf versions, and I will need shoal draft (wing) for my home port, unfortunately. Been looking at 1985 and later. Thanks!

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
32 information

I am not a historian but it seems to me there were basically three versions of the Ericson 32 designed by Bruce King. I am not counting the Scorpion which was a day sailor built in the late '60s or the E33 which is actually 32 feet and was designed by Ron Holland. The Ericson 32-2 was first built in 1969. It has a conventional layout and a wicked looking keel that curved back like a scimitar. The Ericson 32-3 is a slightly bigger boat and was first built in 1985 it has a small aft birth in addition to saloon table that drops to create a bed in the main cabin. The head and V berths are forward of this. The E 32-200 was built around 1988 and continued into the '90s by Pacific Seacraft as the 333. The 32-200 has a large berth and a head aft of the main cabin. Based on its rating it is slightly faster than the other 32's. I know the 32-200s have wing, fin and deep fin keel configurations. The wing draws 4.5 feet.

Things to pay attention to:
1. check the wood under port lights and port holes for stains which indicate leaks. These can and must be fixed 'cause it only gets worse if you tarry.

2. The keel and the hull can become separated over time. Water trickles into your bilge. You loose sleep at night. It does little good to squirt sealant or caulk into the crack IMHO. We finally dropped the keel squirted 5200 over all of it and bolted it back down with big wrenches. Leak over!

3. Finally, at least on the 32-200 the hull liner, known as the tri-axial force grid or TAFG has a pre-molded battery box that will only accommodate two size 24 batteries. We placed a third in the starboard Lazarette and use it for starting only.

Good luck in your search

Larry Lee
Annabel Lee E 32-200
Savannah, GA

ref_123

Member III
Few more things...

Lawrence captured quite a bit, so I will just add a few points.

• While the model is "32", LOA is actually close to 34 feet, so if the slip is exactly 32, she will stick out a bit.
  • There is a known issue with dorade on top of the cabin. The drains get clogged with debris and the water can get into the deck core. Easy fix but can be used as a price negotiation.
  • Over time rudder shaft gets a bit of play in the tube. Same deal - relatively small repair but needs to be done.
  • If you find a boat with so called "mexican bottom" - negotiate the price down and relax about those small gelcoat blisters. We sailed with them for 9 years with no issues.
  • I am yet to hear of any issues with keel bolts failing on any E-32, but if water in the bilge is indeed coming through the bolts, and it is an an issue, it's fixable - as Larry suggested. The wood around the portholes is cosmetics, so if nothing more is wrong with the boat, you are darn lucky :).

Regards,
Stan

RKCRWLR

Member II
Thanks!

All great info and appreciated! Looks like the 32-200, 32-III or the 35-III will be my best bets. I would have to move slips to the 35, butit is doable as well. I like its rating, but they fetch a highr premium. Down side is I need t ostay under 5 on draft, so those are a little harde to find. Several on the east coast, but that a long shipment to Utah, a likely very expensive! Es are harder to find... if only I loved Catalinas...:nerd:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interior options

If you really like the Aft-Head-and-Aft-Cabin interior layout, keep a lookout for an Olson 34, also.
That was one of the main reasons we bought ours. That, and it's very easy for an old duffer like me to sail and it's very fast.

If, OTOH, if you like the "type a" interior well enough with the head forward, note that the E-35-3 has a separate shower stall AND a real nav desk. That's mighty rare in the same hull in that length of boat.

Our Olson lacks a separate shower, but does have a large nav desk. As the saying might go, we use that desk top for reading, writing, computing, food preparation, and even navigating...
:)

Speaking of shoal draft, I note that there is an E-35-3 for sale in Florida now with the ($$$) Mars Metal fin-n-bulb keel mod. Said to be about 5' 4" draft or something like that.

Happy shopping,
Loren

Last edited:

davidehills

Psc 333 I just bought a 1989 32' 333 rega Just wondering where I might find a manual?

Just bought a 1998 32 333 Reggata. Just wondering since it was built by PSC, how to find out information about water tank size fuel tank size et cetera. Thank you, David

I am not a historian but it seems to me there were basically three versions of the Ericson 32 designed by Bruce King. I am not counting the Scorpion which was a day sailor built in the late '60s or the E33 which is actually 32 feet and was designed by Ron Holland. The Ericson 32-2 was first built in 1969. It has a conventional layout and a wicked looking keel that curved back like a scimitar. The Ericson 32-3 is a slightly bigger boat and was first built in 1985 it has a small aft birth in addition to saloon table that drops to create a bed in the main cabin. The head and V berths are forward of this. The E 32-200 was built around 1988 and continued into the '90s by Pacific Seacraft as the 333. The 32-200 has a large berth and a head aft of the main cabin. Based on its rating it is slightly faster than the other 32's. I know the 32-200s have wing, fin and deep fin keel configurations. The wing draws 4.5 feet.

Things to pay attention to:
1. check the wood under port lights and port holes for stains which indicate leaks. These can and must be fixed 'cause it only gets worse if you tarry.

2. The keel and the hull can become separated over time. Water trickles into your bilge. You loose sleep at night. It does little good to squirt sealant or caulk into the crack IMHO. We finally dropped the keel squirted 5200 over all of it and bolted it back down with big wrenches. Leak over!

3. Finally, at least on the 32-200 the hull liner, known as the tri-axial force grid or TAFG has a pre-molded battery box that will only accommodate two size 24 batteries. We placed a third in the starboard Lazarette and use it for starting only.

Good luck in your search

Larry Lee
Annabel Lee E 32-200
Savannah, GA